Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EGNE - Gamston Retford shout-out

Since a lot of what we seem to do is complaining about how difficult flying in the UK is (yep, I’ve been guilty of that). I thought a quick shout-out was due to EGNE Gamston -Retford airfield in the UK.
I had business in the UK this week and flew into Gamston (where my mechanic has a second base so he could do the 50h) and had a great experience. The airport has just changed ownership and I am being told there was some initial anxiety about the experience being unpleasant in the future for GA aircraft.
From this trip I would say that is entirely unfounded.

Landed on Sunday, got met by Border Force who just wanted to know when I was leaving, as I wasn’t entirely sure they said well if you don’t want us to come in the future, just put a date out in the GAR form. Handy ;-)
Left the plane took the train to London. Got call from Airfield, while on the train, heavy rain/wind is forecast. Do you want us to put the plane in the hangar for you. Why not? Cost 30GBP per night. Experience – priceless.
Landing fee is 15GBP there is no handling fee and AVGAS is 1.75/liter. Plane was fuelled up (with my mechanic supervising fueling) and ready for me to fly after payment up in the tower for departure.

Class A experience and a rare treat in the UK in particular was that tower (Gamston is non controlled) called for pre-clearance with East Midlands who had all my details for IFR pick-up in flight. Would highly recommend if you aim to visit the Robin Hood region from overseas. Very, very helpful

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

EGNE is my most favourite place to re-fuel and the cafeteria (not open all the time) serves really good food to suit everyone’s taste. Even with the landing fee avgas is still competitive. Long may it serve GA.

UK, United Kingdom

Nice! My (limited) experience with UK airfields has been positive as well.

How did the whole covid situation impacted you travels? Would love to hop over this spring, do you just need a negative covid test?

EHTE, Netherlands

It’s the type of place that would really benefit from an RNP approach

Bobo wrote:

How did the whole covid situation impacted you travels? Would love to hop over this spring, do you just need a negative covid test?

As crew I travelled as if COVID didn’t exist tbh…

I am puzzled about “train to London”, is it really that close?

My best are Southend & Headcorn for quick & reliable trains to London center (landing at Damyns Hall or Stapleford guarantee I am home in east London with less than 25min)

COVID didn’t exist tbh

The perks of flying your own

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Feb 20:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I am puzzled about “train to London”, is it really that close?

I needed to be in the Gamston area for a 50H on the Comanche and in London for meetings. It was still 1h37mins on the train to London. You wouldn’t fly to Gamston if you had no business there for a London trip.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message