Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

I have this

What can I say? It is relatively small, like a big pocket camera, it is in a carrying bag in the back seats. Never used it – so I do not know how well it works. Can’t say I am in love with it. Probably no better or worse than other brands.

LFPT, LFPN

I have the same one plus a (Garmin)inReach.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

DeLorme (Garmin) inReach user here. Have used it since it came out.
Flying all over the world – never had a problem sending messages or tracking points.
Worked even in very remote and narrow valleys while hiking in Nepal.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Finally I decided to purchase the “OceanSignal RescueME PLB1” at the pilotshop.nl (hope that this is not an issue to refer to a brand and a shop )
Not too expensive and very small.
Will let you know how it works should I have to use it (hope not…)

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I have been using this: ACR AquaLink

Now after 7 years it is time to replace the battery. I have taken the occasion to see if there is anything better on the market now by which I could replace it, but decided to stick with it for 7 more years since it seems to still be state of the art. It appears that the prices for the battery service (including replacement of seals and testing the sealing) are fixed by some cartel, because everywhere I asked they quoted 149 Euros and about a 3-4 weeks delay (it seems that it is now the season where all the sailing people get their gear serviced, and maybe pilots too).

An advantage in my opinion is the belt holder which I use to fix it to my belt before embarking on overwater legs, so I wouldn’t have to worry about grabbing the PLB and sticking to it after a forced landing on water. It can get a bit in the way of the seatbelt buckles, but that issue is manageable.

The NL have finally given in on their “airspace requirement” to carry an ELT (no PLB, as allowed by Part-NCO). It was about time.

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2017-05-11-AIRAC/eAIP/html/eAIC/EH-eAIC-2017-01-B_en-en-GB.html

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The NL have finally given in on their “airspace requirement” to carry an ELT (no PLB, as allowed by Part-NCO). It was about time.

Very very good news. Indeed it was about time.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
The Dutch (national) requirement is requiring an ELT for international flights. This is also applicable to visiting aircraft. This is a point which is looked at during ramp checks. I asked the Dutch CAA about this, and they will keep their requirement active, next to part NCO, which is a different requirement.

So it would they would comply with Part NCO AND also require an ELT for crossing the Dutch border.

bookworm wrote:

I’m rather looking forward to my first ramp check in the Netherlands after 26 August.

boscomantico wrote:

The NL have finally given in on their “airspace requirement” to carry an ELT (no PLB, as allowed by Part-NCO).

Amazing what a little informal standardisation chat can achieve… :)

This was reported by @Morty here.

Amazing what a little informal standardisation chat can achieve…

When is France due to get such a visit? Is there any public record of such visits?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 May 17:42
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Is there any public record of such visits?

That wouldn’t be informal, would it?

Sign in to add your message