Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Embraer loses instruments over Lisbon

Airborne_Again wrote:

Claims on PPRuNe that the aileron controls were reversed.

I think that is impossible to conduct even a short flight with reversed ailerons. You can find videos on Youtube with RC planes having that and what happens is a turn over and crash immediately after lift off. This is a thing which is not flyable by us and I remember during PPL theory one of our instructors who is test pilot said that reversed aileron control was part of their education but only in the SIM. The whole class tried it and they knew it before they took off and they all crashed immediately. Just try to ride a bike which goes left when you turn right

Landing of P4-KCJ in LPBJ

Last Edited by Neal at 12 Nov 21:26
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

Neal wrote:

Just try to ride a bike which goes left when you turn right

Off topic a bit, but all bikes (except the one in the video) do exactly that… you steer right to initiate a turn to the left. link

I think the biggest problem with learning to ride a bike with backwards steering would be that relatively few people know how they steer a bike – you can’t do the opposite of what you normally do without conscious understanding. The same is not true for the roll control of a plane so I don’t know if it would be quite as difficult.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Nov 22:21

Silvaire wrote:

The same is not true for the roll control of a plane so I don’t know if it would be quite as difficult.

We could try it on a simulator.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Try something easier? A cup of tea?

Saw A video of cosmonauts selection as who will be able to play basketball with those glasses, some did quickly adapt

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 21:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Off topic a bit

Affirm but the concept of human perception and neural interpretation is the same.
Vladimir wrote:
We could try it on a simulator.

I tried on X-Plane changing roll of the ailerons on the yoke to the opposite on the PA28 I fly and it was devastating. I did though manage to do a circuit but the landing was more on the taxiway than the RWY and this was all with no crosswind at all an I was prepared for it and in the SIM you don’t have the “butt feeling” of where acceleration is going….
I’d just wish for any of us to never have to enter a plane with adverse aileron controls.

Last Edited by Neal at 12 Nov 22:14
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

The Spectrum VLJ prototype accident was another example of a jet aircraft that crashed immediately after takeoff due to reversed aileron linkages.

Noe wrote:

I think you’ll find in general the portuguese ELP (both aviation an non aviation) far superior to all other southern countries.

Couldn’t agree more, and this, somewhat surprisingly, goes for the country in general. I’ve always been rather positively surprised by the difference in ELP when crossing the FIR from Spain into Portugal. AFAIK, however, they all are military (is that true?) and they certainly have a certain ‘military style’ to r/t.

One of my instructors suggested keeping the stick dead centre and using the rudder. I think it might just work, if you lived long enough to try it.

A more common scenario where controls are reversed: flying a radio controlled aircraft or car towards you.

The trick to the bike is to cross your arms, ie left had on right handlebar and vice versa. I have done it at a village fête and it works.

The same is true of trying to use a PC screen at 90° or 180°. Turn the mouse through the same angle.

I have been told that the trick in aeroplanes is to put your left hand on the right yoke horn, and possibly even your right hand on the P2 left horn, but as others have said, you are so unlikely to have survived that long that the question arises.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Noe wrote:

I think you’ll find in general the portuguese ELP (both aviation an non aviation) far superior to all other southern countries.

I’ve only flown to Portugal once and that was a long time ago (1989), but the difference between Portuguese and Spanish controllers was nothing less than astounding. Entering Lisbon FIR was almost like coming home in the way of ATC service.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message