Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Oil

@Peter
Spent some time to read the Camguard thread.
Indeed, it seems that the Phillips XC 20W50 has been lost somewhere…
Why, albeit it seemed to be one of the best candidate (being a straight mineral oil) to be mixed with CG ? (and was advised by Ed)

A and C

Who overhauls your engines and how many hours are on them?

The 152 I fly regularly uses about one quart every 8 hours.

I’ve also used to fly a C150 and have probably two hundred hours on it. It pulled like a train and used one quart every 3 hours. Although I was glad it when it reached TBO and was pulled.

There are multiple threads here on the Philips oil. I recall @Achimha obtained some. He may still visit the forum. But also I recall there were issues with it, to do with sticking valves, especially in the pre-chrome engines (ones without the “C” on the cylinders). I would suggest a search.

A C150 burning a quart every 3hrs is technically airworthy but only just

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I read extensively the different thread, and didn’t find anything suggesting this.
I may have missed this information.

For the information, I inquired Blackstone on this topic [following good (first) results for my IO540 with very low wear] and they suggested to stay with AS15W50 and that Camguard wouldn’t add any benefit.
Not stating this is the truth I want to hide behind, just that we can find quite different points of view.

There are no hard truths because if you fly frequently, say every 1-2 weeks, and for an hour or more, the engine won’t need any corrosion protection.

Camguard did halve (for me) the wear rate of the hard metals (not the soft ones) and this was confirmed by the inventor Ed Kollin as being fairly typical. But a typical Lycoming non-turbo engine, used regularly as above and not mismanaged, will make 2000hrs and most of the parts inside will still be within overhaul limits, and some will be within new limits. And this will be regardless of which aviation oil you use.

If you don’t use Camguard, Shell 15W50 is just fine. I ran with it for years and got good oil analysis data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman

Off the top of my head the C152 engines are at about 1100 & 750 hours they generally burn about 1USQ in 25 hours ( I suspect the true burn rate is a little lower but the flying club members seem to have trouble getting all the oil down the dipstick hole ).

I did have one break an oil control ring and that sent the oil consumption sky high, Fortunatly there was so much oil in the cylinder we found the correct cylinder and fixed it quickly.

The O-360 has only run about 200 hours since OH following a prop strike so reliable data only just starting to become avalable as the rings have only just settled in.

NMA do all the engine overhaul work for both my fleet and the engineering business, while not being the cheapest in the business they produce reliable engines and on the very few occasions we have had problems they get then sorted quickly.

The reason I stopped using AS 15/50 is because I had my starter clutch slip on Cont 520s and 550s this is a unique problem due to the friction modifiers they use. So I had switched to AS 100 and P 20/50. Although got some word that the Philips is not that great for corrosion protection it comes off the internals after a while. So Camguard is a must. Unless you fly every week and in which case you dont need CG.

KHTO, LHTL

Back to 15w50 (Shell) vs 20w50 (phillips)

What do you think about this ??

Besides, where do you buy Shell or Phillips oils in Europe ?

Nothing my aircraft never operates at -40 degrees

I don’t either :-)
Which oil do you use @Bathman ?

Sign in to add your message