Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

Today I have learned that training pays off. Departure at LSZH at 1703 RWY 28, ZUE2V. After climbing strait to the interception turn at DME 2.3

there was a rough bang, the EGT was going wild. I immediately declared an emergency (Mayday) with the intention to return to the field and requested landing in opposite direction on RWY10. Tower confirmed the emergency. I confirmed engine out, because now the engine stopped and suddenly it got really silent. I never had made it before to fly a glider, so new experience for me.
Then the landing was uneventful, best glide speed, approach flaps to adjust distance and glide angle to touch down point. I had to ask about the aircraft facing me on the runway, and tower confirmed that the aircraft will leave before my landing. Gear down, as landing was assured, full flaps to land near taxiway to leave the runway rolling without engine. It was a smooth landing. Total time in the air 6 minutes.
Then checked what happened. See the big hole on the top of the engine.

Now I’m waiting for the officials to give them the report. Then it will be a 2,5 hours drive home, but my wife will collect me at Zürich.

EDDS , Germany

Ouch. Well done. A great result.

EGTK Oxford

Holy sh*t !! Congrats to what sounds like a textbook execution of an emergency landing. Well done !!

Glad it worked out OK. How far AGL were you when it happened?

EIMH, Ireland

Happy that no harm was done, Peter!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Incredibly well done Peter!

Thank you for posting it, too…

What was the aircraft which departed behind you?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Brilliant work and sounds like textbook handling of a tricky situation!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Well done staying on top of it (also lucky your wife was not flying?)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wow, congratulations, very well done. Sorry I did not see this earlier, would have been right with you at the GAC to treat you to a very well deserved after landing drink.

Who did you leave the airplane with now? MFGZ? I think I saw your plane parked next to mine yesterday?

Any help I can provide, just let me know.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 11 Oct 19:01
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Congrats, well done! Keep us posted on investigation results.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
180 Posts
Sign in to add your message