Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

BTW, how do you like the Turbo Arrow?

It‘s a nice plane. I was flying a standard Arrow 3, before the Bonanza, so it feels quite familiar. The most irritating thing was the avionics, because compared to our Bonanza it is many steps backwards, although the plane is fully ir equipped with a Garmin 530.

EDDS , Germany

Brilliant that you are not messing about, Peter.

Where did the new engine come from, so fast? Is it factory new?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great news @eddspeter
Congrats on how you are doing this all!

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Peter

Where did the new engine come from, so fast? Is it factory new?

We had several options and voted finally for a overhauled RAM engine. They proposed 15 days between start of production to delivery, after paying the deposit. They deliver it with nickel coated cylinders, Gami injectors and all the necessary tubes. So if they do as promissed that will reduce the installation time to a minimum and time is a pricy factor at Zürich.

We got a quote from Continental too, and it was not that much cheaper but they would need much longer to deliver.

The fastest one was Victor. There Black engine would have been delivered within 7 days after I quoted them for the Black Edition VII and 14 days for the Black Edition VI, but the pricing came out of my possible range at the moment.

Scanaviation at Kopenhagen offered the best price. They would have rebuild my engine around what was left and functional, but it would have taken longer and they need to have the old engine back first and this is not possible due of the SUST investigation of the engine. This might take up to a year, as they told. But they are very cooperative and will deliver all the parts we need urgently (EDM, propeller governor etc.) back this week.

By the way, the propeller is meanwhile at Hoffmann for the overhaul. As the TBO is 6 years and it was running on condition, we voted for the opportunity to do the overhaul now, to avoid downtime in future.

EDDS , Germany

Nice to know that in the case of cases it is quite possible to get a replacement engine in good time.

As for rebuilding around what was left of your old engine…. i guess that one would have been a huge gamble… apart from what the SUST does with it. I suspect you will need to have the parts delivered back checked too before they go on the new engine?

To overhaul the prop while you are at it is a good idea indeed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

we had our engine done at scanaviation this year; they replaced our rotten crankshaft with a used one, along with the other damaged parts (see post farther up), balanced and everything… engine runs like a clock. They do about 200 engines a year and have a make-happen attitude.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Today I got some pictures of my new engine. Ready for the static test on the test bench.

EDDS , Germany

Excellent! No messing about.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Antonio
LESB, Spain

On a new engine installation, I recommend to check the full-rich full power fuel flow before take-off. If not rich enough, your CHTs will show a rising trend. On the analog fuelflow gage, the needle should be at or over the redline. If you download the EDM data, you should see the CHT trend during climb.

EBKT
Sign in to add your message