Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ESSE Stockholm Ska-Edeby

Any feedback available here about ESSE? Enquiring about PPR conditions for a future flight I phoned the number from Skydemon for info and was referred to a website which is not up and running yet, will appear in the next month or so.
Any information about costs and suchlike would be welcome.
Arriving in Sweden from non-Schengenland EU I need to go through border control but not customs, assuming this is not available at ESSE I’ll need to find some other airfield that has border control and with the least hassle.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Bluebeard wrote:

Enquiring about PPR conditions for a future flight I phoned the number from Skydemon for info and was referred to a website which is not up and running yet, will appear in the next month or so.

That’s odd. The number in SD is the mobile phone number of the airfield manager. If he really did refer you to a website which is not operational, I would call him again! Or did he mean that the website would be up by the time you wanted to land at ESSE?

Arriving in Sweden from non-Schengenland EU I need to go through border control but not customs, assuming this is not available at ESSE I’ll need to find some other airfield that has border control and with the least hassle.

What direction will you be arriving from?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AFAIK there is no landing fee there and the fuel cost would be fairly normal as well.

I do not know enough about border control to give you a good answer there.

ESSZ, Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What direction will you be arriving from?

Well, given he is from Ireland (and given that Ireland is one of the very few “non-Schengenland EU countries”), that would be my bet…

I also guess that non-Schengen arrivals (even if intra-EU) are not possible at a place like Ska-Edeby, but not entirely sure. If going to Stockholm city, I would therefore consider to go straight to Bromma in this case, even if it costs more.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Apr 08:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Well, given he is from Ireland (and given that Ireland is one of the very few “non-Schengenland EU countries”), that would be my bet…

Yes, but I didn’t ask for his place of departure but of the direction from which he would be arriving. Many people don’t want to fly singles (if that’s what Bluebeard will use) over the North Sea. I did twice, but that was in summer and I was wearing a full survival suit.

I also guess that non-Schengen arrivals (even if intra-EU) are not possible at a place like Ska-Edeby, but not entirely sure. If going to Stockholm city, I would therefore consider to go straight to Bromma in this case, even if it costs more.

I have never heard of any procedures to have passport checks done at other places than international airports. I suppose that in principle you can request that but AIP-Sweden gives no clue.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Apr 08:13

Answering the questions, yes coming from Ireland and if I choose to I can avoid an extended overwater crossing by going via Netherlands/Denmark, not much further. Everywhere I go involves some overwater crossing(s). The higher the better.

Yes the person I spoke to at ESSE said “no problem” – the info would be available in due course on a website that is being set up.

Border controls: Sweden’s AIP does not give full details for smaller fields; if necessary I envisaged landing at some port of entry on the way – maybe in Denmark or southern Sweden – to enter Schengenland. Hopefully somewhere relaxed inexpensive and quick. Say Jonkoping perhaps, where I landed some years ago.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I would recommend entering Schengen at Sønderborg (EKSB) or Roskilde (EKRK) in Denmark. EKRK is a very friendly GA airport. I haven’t been to EKSB myself, but by all accounts it is also a very friendly airport. According to AIP-Denmark both have immigration at 1 HR PN. Just check the opening hours.

The landing fee is about €13 for EKRK and €16 for EKSB. I doubt you can find an international airport in southern Sweden with similar prices. Both airports should be at about the right distance from ESSE for a refueling stop.

Thanks Airborne! I won’t actually need to refuel there if I leave Ireland full, but if Danish avgas were less expensive than in Sweden that would be good too for a top up.
I once passed through Billund EKBI for immigration purposes, I don’t recall any extortion hassle or delays there; but airports’ characters change over time, usually for the worse.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message