Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EU to PAY Britain millions (subsidy) for 8.33 migration (merged)

I detect significant Bregret, rather like a buyers remorse.

The current attitude seems to be of baffled stoicism, people are talking about digging in and pulling together to get over the crisis, with the undertone that this crisis has been imposed on us by someone else, whereas the truth is that the 52% that voted for Brexit have precipitated the problem.

I think a new referendum would bring a landslide to remain. I have met plenty moaning about the current situation and nobody saying how great things are now.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I think a new referendum would bring a landslide to remain.

They said that before the vote

I have met plenty moaning about the current situation and nobody saying how great things are now.

That’s because all those who were open about voting OUT before the vote have been socially ostracised since, and not just on social media (on which they got absolutely lynched). The “right on” position, like hipster beards, has always been IN. Anyone who voted OUT and who admits to it openly will simply lose 48% of their friends. So they are mostly lying low now, with many pretending they voted IN.

Nobody has seen such a social phenomenon before in the UK.

Personally I am sure the UK will be fine, and FWIW the stock market seems to agree. I think there will be a temporary recession – everybody thinks there will be one so one will come allright.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

Actually it was the national-driven bitching about frequency and sector allocation, that led to the need of 8,33 spacing. If those nationalist administrations were really to comply to basic European ideas and regulations, we wouldn’t have the problem and could spend the money on more sensible things like inflight weather or TIS. To blame this on the EU is a shortcut through the facts.

It appears that the EU has the power to drive creation of EU aeronatical law, but does not have the power to drive pan-EU frequency allocation. If that is the case, I’d submit that the legal formualtion of the EU is directly to blame – because it drove the creation of 2,280 VHF channels, which is a patently absurd solution to a techncially simple problem. I think that if the countries were entirely independent there may have been a better chance of necessity forcing them to cooperate on frequency allocation, which is the correct solution.

Yes, I am all for sensible unifying Europe, but apparently too many close minded nationalists don’t share this view and will do anything to prevent this – both on aides of the EU and the national administrators and governments.

Last Edited by mh at 11 Aug 22:35
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Still, nobody seems to know how anybody can get this mysterious money for upgrading to 8.33…

I would put in an application for the $4k or so I spent on a KX165A/8.33.

Administrator

Silvaire wrote:

It appears that the EU has the power to drive creation of EU aeronatical law, but does not have the power to drive pan-EU frequency allocation.

We’re talking about representatives of member states. If you have enough political pull, you can protect yourself. Telecommunications are mostly national business. Whether it’s broadcasting or mobile networks. The EU does meddle in it, consider regulation of roaming charges. And cooperation is necessary. However, the radio spectrum is a valuable resource and nations won’t like giving up control over it – I imagine it’s easy sell for telecom regulators. Aviation is obviously different. There was JAA before EASA. So NAAs either wanted it or can’t muster enough support. And operators I imagine prefer unification. The regulations then for a significant part just implement ICAO recommendations (e.g. SERA is mostly just Annex 2). The difference is that JAA couldn’t enforce anything. So while things were more similar than different, there were quite a few differences. That’s where the EU comes in. My view is that things are improving, that is EASA is currently doing a better job than JAA did.

Peter wrote:

. Anyone who voted OUT and who admits to it openly will simply lose 48% of their friends. So they are mostly lying low now, with many pretending they voted IN.

47.99999999% of their friends – I won’t “de-friend” anyone because they were pro-brexit even though I would rather the UK had stayed (as I mentioned earlier, we in the Isle of Man are merely in the peanut gallery). I’m not going to de-friend someone because they have a difference of opinion. If I did, who would I have to argue with? It’s boring just agreeing all the time!

Personally I am sure the UK will be fine, and FWIW the stock market seems to agree. I think there will be a temporary recession – everybody thinks there will be one so one will come allright.

The stock market isn’t really a good indicator in this case. The stock market is doing well because thanks to the fall in the pound, a whole bunch of companies listed on the LSE whose earnings are mostly outside the UK suddenly got 20% cheaper to foreigners as the pound plummeted. The likes of Royal Dutch Shell, Reckitt Benckister, Legal & General, GSK, AstraZeneca et al suddenly became cheap with the fall in the pound, but since most of their business is not UK focused they are just as sound as they were the day before Brexit. Add to that the panic selling that occurred on Brexit day and you could pick up some real bargains. Especially dividend paying companies who denominate their dividends in a currency other than £.

But look at UK focused stocks, or companies that have considerable uncertainty because they are UK based and need easy access to the EU – you wouldn’t be quite so happy if most your portfolio was in the UK banks, airlines like easyJet, housebuilders like Persimmon.

Personally, I think too the UK will be fine in the long run, and I also think that even though the decision didn’t go the way I wanted, now it’s been made we need to not pussy foot around and just get on with it.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Personally, I think too the UK will be fine in the long run, and I also think that even though the decision didn’t go the way I wanted, now it’s been made we need to not pussy foot around and just get on with it.

Do you (and other brits on this forum) believe that there are people who are actually willing and able to manage the brexit? The impression I’ve got is that the leave people have no idea what to do and the remain people don’t want to (obviously).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Do you (and other brits on this forum) believe that there are people who are actually willing and able to manage the brexit?

Yes, absolutely so. The UK has always had a properly functioning government – regardless of whether one agrees with the currently elected party.

The impression I’ve got is that the leave people have no idea what to do and the remain people don’t want to (obviously).

That impression has been carefully cultivated, yes.

Alioth – I get your drift, and it is a commonly voiced POV, and you could have added e.g. Rolls Royce to the list, which makes an extra £20M for every 1 penny the £ drops. But RR – like the others – isn’t just FTSE100 listed. It employs, like the others, a huge number of very well paid people in the UK, not to mention using hundreds of subcontractors, whose dosh gets spent mostly in the UK.

Housebuilders will get hit because Brexit is thought to reduce future immigration, and a large % of new housing demand is due to immigration. So, yes, there will be losers, and there are some massive losers – anything to do with academia and research funding in particular, into which the EU grants machine had a deep penetration.

The “Brexit bargains” lasted about half an hour – between 8:30 and 9:00 I know…

I agree totally. It’s going to take a while. Currently 1/3 of house sales are reportedly falling through “due to Brexit” but then a large % of people in that game have always behaved despicably. This reflects on peoples’ confidence which in turn affects everything else.

I still want to know how I can get the $4k back

Administrator

Like you Peter I would like to see the colour of the EU’s money.

Sign in to add your message