Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR conversion to EASA IR (CB IR)

Yes.

After 7 years I would need to do the fresh CB IR conversion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally, I would probably revalidate renew it before the 7 years. Insures you against regulatory changes (and might not be bad to have to get back to test shape once in a while!)

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Nov 16:52

I tend to agree.

Always better to cover all bases, and a revalidation is less risk than a fresh IRT, not to mention much cheaper (a UK CAA booked IRT is probably over £800 now) and can be done with an IRE of your choice.

However, after 1 year you are technically renewing, not revalidating, so you have to go through an FTO. They are obliged to co-operate (some paperwork has to be filled in) but in practice you cannot force them to do anything so that could be another little block.

Administrator

You’re right, I always confuse the two. Edited in the offending post

Got to know about the ATO thing.

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Nov 16:53

how much is a “renewal” and a “revalidation”?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

For the actual flight – 150-200 pounds for the examiner appears to be the going rate. Plus aircraft.

For the renewal, you need a “course completion certificate” from the ATO, which is at their discretion after an assessment (so they can say hey, you are IFR current on your FAA licence, nothing needed, off you go) and there is guidance material how many training “sessions” are required depending how long the rating was expired, but for any enlightened ATO it will be one assessment flight + training as required.

The examiner fee for the renewal is the same, after that.

Biggin Hill

For the actual flight – 150-200 pounds for the examiner appears to be the going rate. Plus aircraft.

I pay 50€ to my examiner. The advantage of having “leisure examiners” and not only “professional examiners”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The problem is that the guy I use has to pay £6000/year to the CAA, to purchase the authorisations for doing the various tests which he is entitled to do.

Administrator

You must not let a Class 1 medical lapse for more than 5 years though otherwise you have to go back to Gatwick for an Initial.

Do you have a reference for that? I have never done a “initial” in all my flying career and have never heard of such a requirement. Do they still do medicals at Gatwick, I gather the CAA Medical Dept has closed down?

Also is a class 1 of any use if you are not going to fly commercially?

Sign in to add your message