Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR to EASA IR - practical experience 'using the system' and finding an ATO/FI for training

Hello all,

I have an FAA IR with enough hours to qualify for the FAA to EASA conversion so I am looking into the process. The problem is all my IMC time comes from flying in the States. I have no experience flying in the European IFR “system”.

My question is where does one find a training organization that can teach how to use the system from a practical standpoint? Although a few hours shooting approaches would be beneficial, what I really need is a couple of trips through France and/or Germany to see how to work the system. I understand there is no requirement for training, however I am sure I would fail the checkride showing up with no experience.

Anyone have any recommendations or contact details for a freelance Flight Instructor or ATO that isn’t an ATP mill? Living in the States there were a few freelance guys around that specialized in owner-aircraft advanced training; that would be my preferred method of training.

Also, as I will eventually return to the US, I don’t really want to lose my FAA licenses. Is it a conversion, i.e. you surrender your FAA license? or just a piggyback to your FAA license?

Thanks, -Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

question is where does one find a training organization that can teach how to use the system from a practical standpoint?

Point is: if you want to learn something of practical relevance, you can’t go to an “organization”.

You need to find a good instructor with loads of IFR Piston aircraft experience in both “systems”, able to tell the differences. Almost impossible to find such people within flight schools…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A conversion, in the pilot licensing context does not mean surrendering the base license. We just got into the habit of calling these things “conversions” (even though they technically aren’t) in order to distinguish the process from a “validation” (which doesn’t give you something independent from the base license).

My question is where does one find a training organization that can teach how to use the system from a practical standpoint?

I have never come across a “school” which will do that.

Here in the UK there are some freelancers who do advanced training.

But basically you need to fly with an experienced IFR pilot.

Where in the UK are you, Jason? If you are near Shoreham (EGKA) I could take you for a flight in the Eurocontrol system, say to Le Touquet or maybe a bit further, preceeded by a ground session. I am not an instructor so it would be in my plane and I would be PIC. And there are others here on EuroGA who can do it too.

Your original FAA papers are not affected. Only the FAA can take them away or mess with them in any way.

A license “conversion” normally means you are getting a new set of papers, while making use of most or all of the previous training and/or qualifications. This is the ultimate target in aviation A “validation” is normally not very useful for us private pilots and (apart from the FAA 61.75 thingy) tends to be used by commercial pilots getting a job in an AOC aircraft registered in the validating country.

Sometimes, a validation can be used with a bit of subterfuge to obtain fresh standalone papers (another highly desirable outcome) but the routes for doing that have gradually disappeared, though the “AOC job” mentioned is sometimes still open.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rate One Aviatioin: http://www.rateoneaviation.com/ has just got (and is the first, I believe, to have achieved it) authorisation to teach/instruct for the new CBM-IR and can instruct for the FAAEASA IR conversion.
The ‘talk on the block’ is to perhaps wait for the next three week to hear whether by the end of July a BASA has been achieved between the FAA & EASA.
If this does happen, then choices/options available might change in a more amenable direction.
If not, then the ‘conversion’ announced a couple of months ago will still apply.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Where in the UK are you, Jason? If you are near Shoreham (EGKA) I could take you for a flight in the Eurocontrol system, say to Le Touquet or maybe a bit further, preceeded by a ground session. I am not an instructor so it would be in my plane and I would be PIC. And there are others here on EuroGA who can do it too.

Hi Peter – I’m near Colchester in Essex and have my own PA28 so I could fly/drive down to take a trip with you in your TB20. That would be great! I understand there is no formal training requirement and I was thinking in the back of my mind to ask other owner/operators out there if I could tag along with them in their planes. Happy to split fuel etc.

Regards, -Jason

Last Edited by JJBeall at 05 Jun 13:11
wait for the next three week to hear whether by the end of July a BASA has been achieved between the FAA & EASA

Peter G – can you explain what this is?

By the way, IIRC the man behind Rate One is Jim Thorpe. The man who was the driving force for the creation of the EIR

You mean a BASA leading to formless mutual recognition of licenses and ratings? By end of July? I’m excited…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Jun 13:00

Just trying to clarify – an IMC holder with the relevant experience can apply to test for a CB IR but with an ATO recommending the person as having done adequate training? But an FAA IR holder can just book the test, if he/she so chooses without having an ATO confirm the competency bit of the CB IR?

In any event both tests presumably have to be with a CAA examiner for first issue?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have just had my Skill Test to convert my FAA IR into a EASA IR. I passed :). I did it in Belgium.

I had asked around to find a “freelance” IRI, found an airplane and did two IR trip with this instructor who explained me the soft points of the EASA IR skill test. I was used to flying IFR in Europe already on my FAA ratings.

I truely love the way this legislation and EASA has taken a turn. Just some paperwork to do, and I will possess a true EASA IR, without gold plating :)

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message