Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA PPL/IR license based on EASA CPL/IR

So here is the situation. If you have an EASA PPL/IR/MEP license and you want to get a FAA-IR license based on the validation principle of getting the fax from the FAA, then doing the IR for foreign pilots theory exam in Farnborough and then to get the piggy-back license, it is clear to me that you can get this.

However, what to do if you have a EASA CPL/IR? Can you still get your EASA license validated to get a FAA-PPL/IR license?

EDLE, Netherlands

Yes. 14 CFR 61.75 is crystal clear – any PPl or higher is requred; you still only get a PPL, though.

Biggin Hill

The beauty of the US system is the ease with which one can find the applicable regulation!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There is/was a “piggyback” FAA CPL. It has/had various limitations so its primary use is/was ferrying.

However I cannot find a reference on google so maybe it has vanished.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is/was a “piggyback” FAA CPL. It has/had various limitations so its primary use is/was ferrying.

However I cannot find a reference on google so maybe it has vanished.

Not possible to get more than a PPL although it was possible in the past.

EGTK Oxford

OK. Clear. Thanks!

EDLE, Netherlands

There has been nothing other than the private pilot 61.75 add on rating since 1978. Before then, CAM 20.112 governed foreign pilot certificates and there was a provision for a special purpose pilot certificate authorizing specific operations such as Ferry Flights for new aircraft. The last update to CAM 20.112 that I found was dated effective Aug 1, 1957.

KUZA, United States

The last update to CAM 20.112 that I found was dated effective Aug 1, 1957

I was born in July, 1957, so that explains where I got it from

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message