Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Filing flight plans and GAFOR routes - how to?

Flying VFR from the czech republic into Austria requires a flight plan, if the weather cooperates I was thinking of doing a flight down to the alps and back this weekend, however how do you file a flight plan with the intention to fly to point X then take the GAFOR loop indicated in the image and then fly back?

Just pick a few 5-letter waypoints which more or less resemble that route.

Nobody is interested in VFR flightplan routings anyway. VFR flightplans have no ATC purposes, only SAR purposes.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Jul 13:44
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ok, I will give it a go – if anybody else has some hints please let me know

boscomantico wrote:

Nobody is interested in VFR flightplan routings anyway. VFR flightplans have no ATC purposes, only SAR purposes.

Depends on the country…. Maybe not in Austria.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It is recommended to use known ICAO ATS routes or points thus ensuring your resulting NOTAM briefing will be parsed correctly from Field 15 from the Flight Plan.

Last Edited by Vref at 26 Jul 14:47
EBST

On the route in your image you are not actually entering the Alps, rather skirting them to the north. Are you sure, that’s a GAFOR route?

For Austria you can use town names, ifr waypoints,maybe even gafor route id etc…
Vienna Info 124,4 can provide flight following but reception will be weak if you are low in a valley.

always learning
LO__, Austria
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message