Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First aircraft purchase - documentation & maintenance required to keep it airworthy?

The engine is a 200 HP angle valve Lycoming 360. Official TBO is 1400 hrs IIRC but this has to do with the intended aerobatic application, not the engine itself which is very little different than installed in Mooney M20E, F or J etc. Like any other Lycoming you typically run it until it needs overhaul based on condition, unless some authority forbids you from doing so.

I’d imagine brakes are Cleveland, which will likewise make them easy to maintain.

I would not expect any airframe life specification in an uncertified airworthiness regime, but if there are the planes (like Bulldogs or Yak 50s) will mostly end up in the US.

I’d imagine these planes were flown from spring to autumn every year then any maintenance projects were done over the winter in preparation for the next incoming class. This is how they make them last so long, and the Vinka’s service record is impressive. Given that they were sold off in September the first thing to do is see what maintenance is now waiting to be done.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Oct 16:11

Picked up the plane today and got to try to fly it and it was love at first sight, only had a short (less than 1 hour) transit flight so didn’t have time to test too many things, but I have to say it handles very nicely – extremely stable, when well trimmed you could just let go of the control stick and it would keep flying straight and level on its own, but still pretty sensitive controls somewhat similar to a Mudry CAP-10 would be my closest experience. Didn’t feel a lot more challenging than a C172 that I usually fly, but just a lot more fun!

Time to start the paper war, I’ll keep you updated :-)

LELL,EFKK, Finland

Awesome, looking forward to your updates.

… and pictures

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Since you asked, here’s a photo from the transfer flight – quite exceptional weather to be late October in Finland(!) and one photo from when I had just landed after the transfer flight

The paperwork is slowly moving forward, I’ve gotten my tail number registered with Traficom & HDI agreed to insure the plane – to a somewhat higher price than I had hoped, but I’d imagine my “1 hour of experience on the type” might have impacted their quote so I hope next year will be a bit cheaper…

Luckily I found a WhatsApp group of all the Vinka buyers, so we’re progressing to get a single maintenance program approved by Traficom which will hopefully make everyone’s life a lot easier – will keep you posted as soon as I get her up in the air again.

Thank you for all the help so far!

LELL,EFKK, Finland

Brilliant! Glad you got your airplane flying.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Looks like 218 kph or 118 kts IAS in low altitude cruise. I’m guessing the airspeed indicator was designed for the airframe with typical cruise at 12 o’clock, as photographed. Not too bad given 156 sq ft of wing area, generous useful load and extensive aerobatic capability.

The ‘maintenance plan’ stuff sounds like a real pain, but I hope you get through it and enjoy the plane a lot, and soon.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Nov 15:22

She finally flies again – thanks for the help here!

I’ve received a Permit to Fly & Airworthiness Review Certificate from Traficom, and was lucky enough to find an ex military pilot who is nowadays a civilian instructor so he could perform the formal differences training with me (constant speed prop was new for me!).

The plane is easy enough to fly, but a whole lot more agile than the Cessnas & Pipers I’m used to, so I was very happy to have the instructor next to me on the first flight – especially as it was a rather windy day.

In the 2 days since I got the paperwork in order I’ve logged over 5 hours of flying and 14 landings, and this airplane is my new best friend now

If anyone is interested I’ll probably post some photos & videos from time to time on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/vinkaflyer/

LELL,EFKK, Finland

And it may well be a very good idea to keep it Finnish, as in that jurisdiction just about everyone knows the plane whereas a German or Spanish CAA would be having kittens over them. Once it is on civil register and properly authorized to fly, this may change, but generally apart from some countries asking permissions, there is nothing wrong with keeping it Finnish.

Indeed.. To put it in verse: Stay away from the Spanish CAA I would say.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

In the 2 days since I got the paperwork in order I’ve logged over 5 hours of flying and 14 landings, and this airplane is my new best friend now

Awesome. It’s a neat plane.

I’ll be checking your Instagram site occasionally – enjoyed the video.

Sign in to add your message