Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flexible pipe for IO540 crankcase breather

ohhh i forget to mention flexschauch can also make u a custom hose lenght with silicon ends at both sides allready bonded to the hose that would be a very nice option and solve all ur issues in one shot

dont know if the will do it for a one or two off but give them a call but i guess they will just might take a bit of time

fly2000

Peter wrote:

The Socata tubing seems a thicker version of the orange heater hoses.

Exactly, just what I wrote It should be CAT. A very standard hose.

Great ideas – thanks! I will get some black CEET hose and some heatshrink.

The Raychem heatshrink is probably the most robust. People sell short lengths on Ebay. The other stuff has a shrink temp of +90C which is not much at all and suggests it would soften around that temp too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BTW, in my installation there is a bend of the breather hose that goes above the top of the engine before it turns u-shape down to the exit. I believe that is important, it makes a bigger portion of the spray return to the crankcase.

The SCAT/CAT/CEET hose can be clamped to a smaller diameter pipe by just removing the wire. That’s how it’s done in your current installation.

The breather tube is teed into the top of the oil refill tube on the Ovation, so you might be on to something Achim :)

You can also cut a slot into the bottom of the tube, inside the cowling, and press the part above the slot slightly inwards, so you get less of a siphon effect.

The TB20 breather has that “whistle” slot. It is present in case the final end of the breather got iced up.

in my installation there is a bend of the breather hose that goes above the top of the engine before it turns u-shape down to the exit

Mine too. It goes uphill about 2-3cm. It could go higher… can’t do any harm.

Administrator

It’s a bit funny. This is a certified engine installation and it uses ad hoc fittings of different diameters and SCAT (CEET) tubing instead of standard DTL6000 engine fluid hose. On my Onex (with a VW engine) for the same installation I use AN fittings all over, DTL6000 tubing going to a separator with a ball valve for limited inverted flight, a return tubing of braided high pressure/ high temp oil hose, and DTL6000 for vapor out port.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes these fittings could be of better quality but being able to use crap is one of the privileges of a 145 company

Socata buy a load of parts from obscure French homebuilding manufacturers and certify them in-house under their 145 authority. For example somebody traced their brake master cylinders and they are made for the homebuilt market. The parts are actually very well made. Of course the company won’t even communicate, let alone sell direct, although I guess the parts can be purchased via outlets which French homebuilders are familiar with.

There is a wider issue here: transmission of vibration from the engine to the airframe. Many people spent ages sorting this issue out. You don’t want an over-stiff hose there.

Administrator

Here is the Socata part, TB253001106

€286.

You can see it is a hose with modified ends.

Administrator

I believe they just removed the wire. This is how you attach these hoses.

Any shop can replace it with stock hoses, doesn’t really matter what exactly is used as long as it can withhold the expected temperatures.

Last Edited by achimha at 09 Nov 16:04
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message