Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight of Passage

I am reading “North Star over my Shoulder” by Bob Buck who joined TWA in the late 1930’s on DC-2’s and -3’s (playing with some of the early ILS approaches) ending up in 747s. It’s a very pleasant and engaging read with a gentle, matter of fact style. Much of what he says sounds like what my FI used to tell me which either means my FI was on the button or the mechanics of flying an aircraft have not changed in 70 years… He also has quite an interest in weather.

I tend to read a lot and the advent of Kindle and the related app means I end up reading more without filling the house with more books (although some books, such as “Think like a bird” by Alex Kimball or Flight of Passage are good to have in hard copy). I found “North Star” on Scribd which for the basic monthly subscription gives access to quite a few books including aviation related ones which is quite good when on the move.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

I have ordered “North Star over my Shoulder” from Amazon – I cannot get on with reading from screens

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Hope you enjoy it; it’s not the typical airline autobiography. I just noticed that he also wrote a book called “Weather Flying”.

I managed to try and turn the page of a printed memo by tapping it the other day until I realised I was not using an ipad One of the main reasons my kids are not allowed to use the ipad and must read from real books!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Buck’s weather flying book is a classic.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC – Based on that and the reviews, I’ve just ordered it off Amazon; thanks.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message