Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight preparation help needed for a trip to Oostende EBOS and Middelburg/Midden-Zeeland EHMZ

First post, apologies for so many questions, I am a regular to Le Touquet however I haven’t branched out further than this.

I am looking to go to Oostende in Belgium then onto Middelburg/Midden-Zeeland in the Netherlands, for Oostende I understand a GEN DEC is required as well as a GAR, flight plan, is anything else required? With the onward journey from Oostende to Middelburg/Midden-Zeeland all that is required is a flight plan or is anything else needed, I see on the Middelburg website they may want a declaration completed?

Does anyone know if I can clear customs at Middelburg/Midden-Zeeland? If not I may just head to Calais for some lunch but I’ve heard customs is not always there unlike le touquet, is this correct? If I need to go to Calais from Middelburg are Oostende and Koksijde accommodating with a transit as it looks like under 1500ft around the CTR otherwise?

Does anyone know if I can pay for fuel on a credit card at either Oostende or Middelburg/Midden-Zeeland without a Bp or total card? I will be taking cash as a last resort backup unless it’s possible to pickup a BP or total card from an airport as I won’t have time to sign up now as I am heading off on Wednesday.

Am I right in thinking on the basis I clear customs in Oostende I can then go to any other Schengen country with just a flight plan and no other documents needed to be filled other than maybe covid related?

United Kingdom

3d3dman wrote:

Am I right in thinking on the basis I clear customs in Oostende I can then go to any other Schengen country with just a flight plan and no other documents needed to be filled other than maybe covid related?

Nearly. If from Oostende you stay inside Schengen, but leave the EU customs area or the EU VAT area, you must go through customs for that, but not immigration/passport control. The main scenario where that happens is Switzerland, but there are some corner cases like the African territories of Spain. Additionally, some countries (Germany, Czech Republic, …) do not require a flight plan at all for border crossing per se, so you can even fly VFR out of controlled airspace without a flightplan within, to and from these countries; SERA rules continue to apply, meaning using a controlled airport requires a flight plan, IFR in controlled airpsace requires a flight plane, …

Oostende is very GA friendly; small GA (2t and less) does not go through the “main” terminal, but goes through the North Sea Aviation Center for reasonable prices (no formal “handling” by them but they collect your landing fee anyway, and you walk through their building, you can use their toilet, Police/Customs will come to their building for you, …). I recommend you see https://www.ostendebruges-aeroport.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/General-Aviation-Info-Sheet-v28APR2021-1.pdf

ELLX

Agree that Oostende is very easy, certainly the closest I’ve seen to US-style FBO service. Be aware that it’s a bit of a hike to Bruges (where I presume you are heading). There’s also a nice but expensive restaurant on the field.

I’m pretty sure you can use your normal credit card for fuel at EHMZ, but you can always call ahead to double check. In any case, EHMZ is a really great destination, with bikes on site (it’s Holland of course!) and some impressive water works in the area. I recommend flying around Zeeland a bit to see it from the air; you can go north along the harbor toward Rotterdam for some interesting sights. I am based in Rotterdam, and I still sometimes make the 20 min flight to EHMZ just because it’s such a nice spot.

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 11 Jul 11:37
EHRD, Netherlands

In 2014 I flew from Cambridge direct to Midden-zeeland, cleared passport control there – however since UK is no longer part of EU, I’m afraid you’ll also need to clear customs and that isn’t available there. It’s a pity because then you could have flown directly on from Ostend – it’s only 40 miles or so.

Concerning transits – just call up Ostend in plenty of time and request your transit, stating your routing – typically along the coast and your requested altitude; they’re very helpful, never been denied one yet, I’ve flown along that stretch maybe 30 times when heading from the continent to UK or vice versa, always around 3500 feet. Just remember that you’re in controlled airspace, so don’t enter it, see fluffy clouds ahead and decide to climb to avoid them – ask first to climb / descend to avoid the clouds; I’ve heard them getting upset if you don’t fly exactly your course and altitude. This also applies when coming in to land at Ostend – don’t just descend from, say, 3500ft to 1000ft to get ready for landing, as you’re in controlled airspace, you need to ask to change your altitude…..

As reqards Koksijde, I’ve never spoken with anyone other that Ostend when transiting along the coast….

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

In 2014 I flew from Cambridge direct to Midden-zeeland, cleared passport control there – however since UK is no longer part of EU, I’m afraid you’ll also need to clear customs and that isn’t available there. It’s a pity because then you could have flown directly on from Ostend – it’s only 40 miles or so.

There no longer is any need to “clear customs” when coming into the EU if you have nothing to declare on board the aircraft.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In 2014 I flew from Cambridge direct to Midden-zeeland, cleared passport control there – however since UK is no longer part of EU, I’m afraid you’ll also need to clear customs and that isn’t available there

That was my understanding from AIP entry but after calling airport who checked with customs, they confirmed private flights from UK are still allowed (maybe now as long a you are not selling an aircraft down there…if you are importing aircraft you need to go to Rotterdam), few people, have flown there in/out even with that dodgy AIP entry !

There is also what has been said above, legally now there is no need to clear customs going in/out of EU if you have nothing to declare (this should work if it’s EU aircraft but not sure if non-EU goods like UK aircraft need customs declaration or clearance?)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jul 07:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message