Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly using new rating as soon as passed skill test

10 Posts

If I’ve understood it correctly, this latest announcement by the UK CAA means that as soon as you have passed a Skill Test for any new EASA rating (e.g. IR, EIR, Mountain Rating etc.) you can immediately use it. A temporary certificate is issued by the examiner which is valid for up to 8 weeks, after which time you would be expected to have completed the normal paperwork and had your licence reissued.

This would appear to me to be similar to the process in the US, where a temporary certificate is issued valid for up to 3 months.

I don’t think this can apply to brand new PPL skill tests because a new licence would need to be issued, but I may be wrong on that.

It also mentions this in the context of ATO, so doesn’t seem that a rating gained outside an ATO would qualify.

This is based on EASA regulation ARA.FCL.215(d) which could also be implemented by other states, should they choose to do so. I’m unaware of any other state doing so before.

Overall, I’d say this is very positive and removes some of the frustration immediately after the joy of passing a test and then being unable to use it until the paperwork is resolved.

[ local copy of the CAA PDF ]

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

That’s brilliant news… Especially with long lead times from the CAA personnel licensing dept at the moment.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

This is based on EASA regulation ARA.FCL.215(d) which could also be implemented by other states, should they choose to do so. I’m unaware of any other state doing so before.

Sweden has always issued temporary licenses and ratings – even before EASA or JAR-FCL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Would it be correct to say that this applies to a Rating , but not to a License ?

A rating can be signed off on the license by the examiner, meaning it has instantaneous validity, whereas a license cannot be signed off … as there is no license in the first place.

In the FAA system you have the privileges as soon as the examiner signs the certificate.

But there is a time limit. I know of multiple people who got bogus checkrides from a DPE who was not authorised. This came to light after, months later, the plastic card didn’t arrive. One sued the FAA and got it. The others had to re-do the tests. This was about 7 years ago.

Basically you have the qualification only when the Caa issues it.

Signoffs are signoffs and are immediate but I bet they will be removed if the examiner turns out to not be authorised… if anybody finds out

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Archie wrote:

Would it be correct to say that this applies to a Rating , but not to a License ?

A rating can be signed off on the license by the examiner, meaning it has instantaneous validity, whereas a license cannot be signed off … as there is no license in the first place.

AIUI it applies to ratings and certificates. It’s obviously intended for situations where you have to apply for the rating/ certificate and a “sign off” from an examiner isn’t enough. It wouldn’t be needed otherwise. Looking at the Examiner Differences Document, examiners cannot endorse instrument, class or type ratings. Which are some of the ratings this can be used for (IIRC).

Archie wrote:

I also remember I got a temporary license following my skill test in Norway in 1995.

LFPT, LFPN

Archie wrote:

When I got my PPL, the examiner issued a temporary (handwritten) license on the spot. Sure, that was in 1984, but no reason why you couldn’t do the same today.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I got the same when I passed my flight test in France 2 years ago. A signed certificate allowing me to fly for 2 months until the full licence arrived.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Aviathor wrote:

I also remember I got a temporary license following my skill test in Norway in 1995.

I remember I flew with an instructor to ENKB, then did the test and flew back as PIC. I don’t remember if I got a temporarylicense, or if the examiner just signed? Anyway, this is nothing new in Europe.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message