Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and Russian citizenship (Ukraine war related sanctions)

The list of NOTAM are here, “same wording” for most EASA countries

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ukraine-aviation-situation-updates/

The customs office in Cherbourg eventually responded that such a flight would not be possible.

Cherbourg is a weird place for ATO to even ask? Edeis is new operator and they are not GA friendly, also the place is on high alerte now with few nukes around, not the ideal place IMHO, also not sure why ATO asks customs? they are not required unless you land? while for overflying airspace permission it’s up to DGAC to opine

Since the restaurant has closed, they don’t like Preists doing weddings neither…

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/6084-temporary-schengen-suspension-around-europe/post/292271#292271

You may want to try LeTouquet and get DGAC approval for overflight permission? try: ag.dsac-ceATaviation-civile.gouv.fr or bf.activites-temporaires-na.dsacoATaviation-civile.gouv.fr

Good luck with CBIR !

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/direction-generale-laviation-civile-dgac

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Mar 23:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Same as student, right? You pay for the lesson, not for transport…

My flight school did a charter contract with me last time I went there to take a class rating check ride. So I fear it can easily be seen that way. It probably all comes down to the ATO. Do you absolutely have to fly abroad? What do the regulations say?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I think no one gave a thought on this issue when preparing the restrictions. These NOTAMs were clearly targeted at russian oligarchs and maybe also airlines. One could ask the CAA or relevant authority, explain the issue and request an allowance or ask what could probably be done in that case. There has never been anything comparable in the aviation world. And I think anybody will understand that not all people who coincidentially possess a russian passport are “brainwashed zombies”.

Germany

arj1 wrote:

Same as student, right? You pay for the lesson, not for transport…

Yes, the student charters the plane – if you could bypass that regulation by becoming a student, we would see many oligarchs who discover their love for flying – as far as I can see there is no rule against doing initial PPL training in a light jet …

arj1 wrote:

If a student cannot complete his training after paying 100K, that is also not great, to put it mildly.

War is not great – to put it mildly!

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 04 Mar 07:26
Germany

Ibra wrote:

Cherbourg is a weird place for ATO to even ask? Edeis is new operator and they are not GA friendly, also the place is on high alerte now with few nukes around, not the ideal place IMHO, also not sure why ATO asks customs? they are not required unless you land? while for overflying airspace permission it’s up to DGAC to opine

Since the restaurant has closed, they don’t like Preists doing weddings neither…

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/6084-temporary-schengen-suspension-around-europe/post/292271#292271

You may want to try LeTouquet and get DGAC approval for overflight permission? try: ag.dsac-ceATaviation-civile.gouv.fr or bf.activites-temporaires-na.dsacoATaviation-civile.gouv.fr

Thanks for the pointers about obtaining overflight permission. Regarding Cherbourg: the ATO says that their EASA inspector recommended that “EASA familiarization” should consist of two flights fully within EASA airspace. So the way they do it now is to take off in the UK, fly to an airport in France, do at least 3 full stop landings there and fly back to the UK. In this case, we were planning to do 2 full stops in Cherbourg and one in Caen.

P.S. the response saying we can’t do this flight was written by the same person as in that link about 24h PPR, so maybe he is just living in his own world

Last Edited by YakovD at 04 Mar 08:18
EGKR, United Kingdom

Yes, war is not great, I agree. This has created a really sad situation for many private pilots but even more so for the Ukraine and as well thousands of young Russian soldiers who were told to go to some training camp and found themselves in war…

For the original question I would like to add that here in Finland a lot of Russian nationals have bought real estate everywhere around “interesting” places and even built helicopter fields in some of them. Our military has been complaining a little about that but cannot do anything as long as the naive state allows it. So I understand that any Russian citizen MAY be a risk for western countries now – most of them are not, but how could you know? At least two well known oligarchs have both Finnish and Russian citizenship. Should they be allowed to fly around Europe with small private planes freely?

Perhaps after some time the rules can be loosened so that a special permission would be granted to certain pilots. It is better so than the opposite: by default let everyone fly around – and try to deny some of them later. After all they might be preparing for an attack to Finland.. we are the next targets if Putin wins Ukraine. Let’s hope that he will not succeed, like it very much looks like at this moment.

EFFO EFHV, Finland

Sebastian_G wrote:

arj1 wrote: Same as student, right? You pay for the lesson, not for transport…

My flight school did a charter contract with me last time I went there to take a class rating check ride. So I fear it can easily be seen that way. It probably all comes down to the ATO. Do you absolutely have to fly abroad? What do the regulations say?

Me? No, but the OP (@YakovD) might need to.

EGTR

Marcel wrote:

When asked, the ministry’s press office said that all persons of Russian nationality, including those with dual citizenship who have a residence in the EU, are affected by the sanctions.

Is that really in accordance with the German constitution? I’m pretty sure that it could not be done in Sweden. Certainly not against people with dual citizenship.

The organisers of the Vasaloppet ski race have banned Russian and Belarussian participants. A complaint was promptly filed with the Equality Ombudsman, a government authority tasked with combating discrimination, on the grounds that ethnic discrimination is illegal in Sweden. I should add that people participate in the race as individuals and not as members of a national team – that would of course have been a different case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Is that really in accordance with the German constitution? I’m pretty sure that it could not be done in Sweden. Certainly not against people with dual citizenship.

Dual citizenship is a difficult topic in German law. In principle if you accept a German Citizenship you have to give up your former one – but there are so many exceptions that situation is really messy.
Jurisdiction is as complex on that topic – but in general constitutional courts embrace the idea that dual citizenship must not lead to “cherry picking” in a sense that you always can chose which passport you use based on what seems to fit better for the situation.

Overall, I would not expect that constitutional court in Germany would object against this rule even if as a “collateral damage” it also banns people with dual citizenships.

Airborne_Again wrote:

that ethnic discrimination is illegal in Sweden.

It is illegal in Germany as well, of course, but citizenship does not establish ethnicity.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 04 Mar 10:45
Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Dual citizenship is a difficult topic in German law. In principle if you accept a German Citizenship you have to give up your former one – but there are so many acceptors that situation is really messy.
Jurisdiction is as complex on that topic – but in general constitutional courts embrace the idea that dual citizenship must not lead to “cherry picking” in a sense that you always can chose which passport you use based on what seems to fit better for the situation.

@Malibuflyer, for some people you cannot just drop the other citizenship, the others don’t even start it as it is complex process.
Some keep it so they could enter the other country to evacuate elderly relatives (not that it helps in the UK, you just cannot bring them in).

It does not affect just the planes – boats as well, right?
What if you live on an island in Europe?

EGTR
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one