Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying from Switzerland to Oban

I am planning a vfr trip to Oban from Switzerland next week my question is witch route is better over uk the east or the west coast ? I was thinking to go to lydd as a port of entry to uk then take the east coast route .
I will appreciate any good advise thank you.

LSGP

No real need to use a port of entry if flying to the UK, not even if coming from Switzerland. Just need a “certificate of agreement aerodrome”. Summary here.

I personally would take a more westerly(ish) routing. Dorset, maybe even Cornwall, the Bristol Channel, Gloucestershire, into Wales, Liverpool, then fly over the Lake District, the Solway Firth, the southern Hebrides. Very scenic.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

With the UK GAR system you can fly to anywhere in the UK, from anywhere. Has this changed recently? The required notice may be 24hrs though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flights to or from places outside the EU require at least of “CoA” aerodrome. This has been the case for quite some time. It’s in the GAR guidance documentation. Inter alia, it says:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m afraid that, as ever, Bosco is right:

Chapter and verse is here

I make almost the same trip a couple of times each year, but to and from Annemasse, not Switzerland. I usually find the weather is better on the east side of England so I go LFLI GGE CTL DVR NJBRI GLENSWINTON, all high Class G after Cambridge or thereabouts. Occasionally I substitute POL for NJBRI (Humberside VRP Brigg) with a transit from Essex Radar (Stansted).

Coming from Switzerland I would consider stopping to stretch your legs at Calais. Then you can land anywhere in the UK after emailing a GAR to the NCU with at least 4 hours notice.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

If you need fuel between Calais and Oban, try Breighton or Kirkbride. Breighton’s pump is card operated, so SR-SS, whereas at Kirkbride you’ll need to give John a call to make sure he’s there to dispense fuel.

Can you not get an agreement with the police, @Jacko? I can right away think of at least one case where this was done (a farm strip).

Thanks for the correction Bosco. I wonder what will happen when the UK leaves the EU? I doubt they will render all farm strips useless for flying abroad, so they will probably keep the definition.

Administrator

I don’t know, but I imagine that the problem with non EU flights to farm strips, beaches and river beds is Customs, not police or Border Force.

All up for grabs now, and a reason for GA to lobby for unilateral free trade?

It is all the same policemen anyway. They hang out together and go around the various strips. There is no distinction.

I know one guy (won’t say who it is) who got a non-EU concession on his garden runway. So it be worth approaching them if you do it often.

Administrator

I flew from Vienna to Scotland last year. I suggest you stop by Antwerp for refuelling and then cross the channel and the entire UK to Dundee, north of Edinburgh. The day after you will have a very enjoyable flight crossing the scottish glens. I don’t know why you chose Oban, however I suggest Glenforsa hotel (island of Mull) just 5 minutes away (in the Mooney) west of Oban.
A couple of days prior to your flight you have to complete and send a declaration form to enter UK, hope you know it.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message