Welcome to our forums

Flying in Southern Spain

@Peter I think it changed around 2020.

Germany

OK that would explain it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Contrary to @172driver s input actually the biggest airports have become surprisingly cheap. Check out the Spanish AOPA success in establishing basic handling fees.

Wow! I stand – happily! – corrected! I do remember reading about these changes here, but IIRC it was difficult actually obtaining the reduced charges. If this has become easy, then that’s really great news for flying in Spain!

I can’t say whether it’s “easy” because I actually speak Spanish. I am actually prepared to argue for the basic handling but at some place like Salamanca we didn’t even mention it and were billed correctly. So it looks like it works.

However speaking of Salamanca they charged I think 50€ handling fee for the fuel truck.

Still it’s not a thing to complain about.

This was particularly frustrating when we were with a microlight to Asturias, was about the same handling fee for refuel for in total 21 litres (!!) of AVGAS. It was 100 Euros for these 5. Something gallons. Still remember the woman holding the huge tube coming from a huge AVGAS truck, from right above over the wing, that is made for several hundred litres per minute, to spit out 10 litres each side. We really were joking and laughing all together about it.

we needed every litre due to bad weather enroute that we flew on top with a 50 knots tailwind. Long story, cool flight.

Last Edited by UdoR at 30 Dec 19:25
Germany

Whatever you don’t check in advance will be charged – that’s the standard across whole Europe. Unfortunately it’s harder and harder to find airports where someone doesn’t try to screw you. After 15 years of cross country flying across Europe, I’m still learning how innovative airports can be in charging fictional services.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yeager wrote:

THIS LINK IS GOLD! Many thanks.

That’s for sure! They used what looks like a King Air to describe how to get the 9 euro handling fee. I guess this would help make the case to anyone that even smaller aircraft should get the lower fee. It’s great to see a local AOPA doing what we need.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Thanks for all of the information everyone! Truly appreciated.

United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message