Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying with a high-hour "pilot passenger"

The thread drifted a bit but I second what Peter brought up initially in his post.

Regardless of the departure briefing you do – and it’s a sensible thing to do if it’s to the point and thoughtful (unlike a number of memorized phrases like in flying school) – there is a, let’s say, emotional component in terms of “feeling in charge”.

I’ve not had this with fellow pilots (but then I haven’t flown with non-instructor pilots with a huge load of experience) but I certainly have this with instructors. I feel less in charge because they are there – and that translates into different behavior. Sloppier? Less confident?

The last times after I got checked out an a new type, before taking “normal” passengers with me on the type, I’ve done at least another “check flight” with myself, partly due to that. To establish the confidence that I’m really ahead of this new type of aircraft before I can demonstrate that confidence to others. I also have more time than on a paid instruction flight to take in the cockpit, the feel and position of the buttons, etc.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Just remember another pilot beside you is as qualified as you are respective of his hours. You fly and you are in command.
I personally like criticism as I learn alot from my mistakes and I always like to learn new things. A good pilot is always learning!

Evo400

I’ve posted a related question about a year ago: CRM for PPL pilots
There is some good feedback in that thread.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message