Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a twin engine helicopter hover (or fly slowly) on one engine?

There’s lots of speculation, some informed, some less so, on PPRuNe.

EGKB Biggin Hill

New video seems to rule out obstacle strike.

EGKB Biggin Hill

LeSving wrote:

I think the engines/props are linked with a shaft
From Wikipedia: “The V-22’s two Rolls-Royce AE 1107C engines are connected by drive shafts to a common central gearbox so that one engine can power both proprotors if an engine failure occurs. Either engine can power both proprotors through the wing driveshaft. However, the V-22 is generally not capable of hovering on one engine”
AnthonyQ wrote:
a loss of tail rotor effectiveness….perhaps that happens with the loss of one engine
Generally no, but the lower you are, the less time you have to transition to auto-rotation, especially with little forward speed.

Last Edited by Arne at 29 Oct 19:13
ESMK, Sweden

Is it me or is it flying out backwards?
An in-air explosion follows and strong rotation.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Is it me or is it flying out backwards?

It is. It was discussed at length on PPRuNe. It is a technique used when there are obstacles you can’t outclimb in forward flight. By flying out backwards rather than straight up the pilot keeps the take-off area in sight so that in case of an engine failure (s)he can immediately autorotate back to a landing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Reading about this, it appears to be a standard procedure whereby you depart backwards (so upon an engine or other failure you can transition to a forward direction descent and head back for the pad) and then from a specific height you transition to forward flight.

The failure would seem to have taken place around the transition point. Probably not the failure of one of the engines, so the thread title is probably not relevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

An in-air explosion follows and strong rotation.

I’m not sure it is an explosion. More likely the landing lights become directed straight at the camera.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And the rotation starts first.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The video shows the helicopter being flown in a responsible way keeping it inside the engine failure return envelope as it goes out of shot, it returns to the video picture rotating rapidly probably indicating the failure of some part of the tail rotor system .

A video here (a low grade UK newspaper) shows it fairly well, as a likely tail rotor failure, rather than an engine failure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message