Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sunset in the DA40

A lovely sunset departure from Stapleford. There is something special about a sunset – and this drew a close to my Autumn flying.

Watch as I learn the correct way of doing a bad weather circuit in this aircraft at Stapleford, before making a complete hash of the landing and taking-off with full flaps. Lesson learned and that’s not to rush. Flying is all about learning though! If you make mistakes, try to learn from them…

I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of night flying but it’s amazing to get back up again after almost a year. This time I validated the rating before Winter so I can fully utilise the aircraft at night. We make two perfect circuits before landing on the last one signing off my SEP for another two years by experience.

With all that said, why do so many people have a fear of flying at night? It’s peaceful and beautiful?

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 07 Dec 14:25
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

With all that said, why do so many people have a fear of flying at night? It’s peaceful and beautiful?

One of my best memories flying was a solo flight from White Waltham EGLM to Pointoise LFPT with sunset over the Channel. Being alone rendered the experience even more magical.
The other one was in Tromso with Northern Lights.

However, now that I also fly in a twin and an SR22, in my last flight in a DA40 at night (LFPN → LFLU), I felt a bit uneasy as I now keep my mind busier thiking about contingencies. No visible places to land, so near certain death in case of engine failure, and kind of thought that that was it for me and single (without parachute) at night.

How the the DA40 take off full flaps?

PS: Thanks for the explanations, I know I complained in another topic, so I do have to say I found this one much more plesant to read!

Can one do night rating locally at Stapleford? or they have some arrangements with a neighbor?

Noe wrote:

Not sure about DA40 slick wings and climb performance but on a C172 it will climb eventually on full 30 deg flaps (assuming EGSX runway size and climb speed just back of the drag curve)

Isn’t a requirement for any certified aircraft to show positive rate of climb even with full flaps? (probably a US-centric thing as there was load of accidents on C150/172 series especially from poor design: electric flaps + no indicator + 40 degrees)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m sure it does climb, I’m just wondering about how the experience felt. Low go arounds with full flap are a bit of an experience…

Last Edited by Noe at 07 Dec 17:58

Noe wrote:

One of my best memories flying was a solo flight from White Waltham EGLM to Pointoise LFPT with sunset over the Channel. Being alone rendered the experience even more magical.The other one was in Tromso with Northern Lights.

However, now that I also fly in a twin and an SR22, in my last flight in a DA40 at night (LFPN → LFLU), I felt a bit uneasy as I now keep my mind busier thiking about contingencies. No visible places to land, so near certain death in case of engine failure, and kind of thought that that was it for me and single (without parachute) at night.

PS: Thanks for the explanations, I know I complained in another topic, so I do have to say I found this one much more plesant to read!

I guess as my instructor said. It’s the single engine affect. Both those flights sound absolutely beautiful, did you get any pictures? I am definitely not scared about the engine failing but if it did, there’s nothing you could do day or night except try and execute some form of landing. I.e. If I had to put it down and couldn’t get back to Stapleford. The M25 springs to mind, as long as it’s not a car park.

Ibra wrote:

Not sure about DA40 slick wings and climb performance but on a C172 it will climb eventually on full 30 deg flaps (assuming EGSX runway size and climb speed just back of the drag curve)

The Manual says MAX power and wait for airspeed 66 KIAS at 1150kg (most of my flights are heavy as I am 6ft). On reaching 66KIAS, flaps to take-off and then above a safe height: 73 kias and flaps UP. I believe I’ve done one or two go-arounds with full flap.

In fact, here’s one fully captured on video at about 7 minutes in;

Ibra wrote:

Can one do night rating locally at Stapleford? or they have some arrangements with a neighbor?

Officially if the weather is good and there’s some night ratings to be done Wednesday and Sunday evenings. Although the chap in the tower explained some nights unofficially they fly at night, if it needs to be done.

Noe wrote:

I’m sure it does climb, I’m just wondering about how the experience felt. Low go arounds with full flap are a bit of an experience…

I once was coming into land Runway 03 at Biggin Hill in a C172 after my first NAVEX and a TSGR was overhead Sevenoaks after passing the airfield a short whilst ago. I couldn’t descend and ended up being sucked towards Biggin Hill Village; ATC issued me with a go around on full flaps and I set off the stall warner and airspeed was at least 50 kias, maybe less. Nose fully forward, reduced the flap setting and climbed away. Never again! I told my instructor as soon as I parked up. Wasn’t a fan of the C172 and quickly went over to the PA28, but I found this harder than the C172 to fly.

No problem. It makes more sense. I take feedback constructively unless it’s a personal dig ;)

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 08 Dec 13:11
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message