Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly By / Over Waypoints

Quick question if I may – I presume a Garmin database knows whether a waypoint is a fly by or fly over, but are they displayed differently anywhere?
Now retired from forums best wishes

On the IFR charts, fly-over waypoints have a circle around them; only the missed approach point RW01 is fly-over, the others are fly-by.

Last Edited by dirkdj at 15 Feb 09:31
EBKT

I think Balliol meant “displayed differently” on the Garmin navigator, not on AIP/Jeppesen charts.

ELLX

I have never found a way, even if you go into Waypoint Information. You do, of course, see the magenta line bending before or after the waypoint.

EGKB Biggin Hill

With some autopilots such as the STEC55, you have to press the NAV button twice (display will show GPSS) for the AP to anticipate the fly-by waypoints.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

With some autopilots such as the STEC55, you have to press the NAV button twice (display will show GPSS) for the AP to anticipate the fly-by waypoints.

If you mean, how to engage GPSS/Roll Steering, there are many different ways:

Button on panel
On Gx00 hold down HDG button
On Aspen press GPSS button
etc.

That is a rather different matter from Balliol’s question (which has also exercised me for my PBN teaching.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

It depends on ATC sometimes.

So leaving an airway the end point is typically a fly by and the GPS will treat it as such.

However if ATC say leave WPT x on heading 230 degrees it would be treated as as fly over.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

However if ATC say leave WPT x on heading 230 degrees it would be treated as as fly over.

Treated by whom? I think that if I had that instruction, I would treat it as fly-by, or you would be displaced from the line they were expecting.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Treated by whom? I think that if I had that instruction, I would treat it as fly-by, or you would be displaced from the line they were expecting.

I always treat that instruction as fly over. In the UK it is usually “depart OX on heading of 360”. If it isn’t, when do you commence the turn?

EGTK Oxford

I would think that in most GA scenarios the speed is so low that it makes no practical difference whether a waypoint is fly-by or fly-over. Maybe a fraction of a mile…

The time it makes a big difference is when you are turning through a huge angle, say 300 degrees, but in IAP the max angle is roughly 90 degrees.

Or if there is a lot of wind; then you need to do a complex computation, and there may not be a solution within the constraints of a Rate 1 turn, or some equivalent roll angle. Then this is relevant…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message