Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus - no pitch trim wheel?

Timothy wrote:

I loathe the trimming system in the Cirrus

I agree. I take pride on having the plane perfectly trimmed, and the Cirrus just makes that task hard. It’s almost like to have to use the autopilot for it do it for you.

In case of trim runaway if you don’t react quickly in pulling the breaker, you’ll be out of trim for good, and with only only your left hand to counteract (at least in a yoke/stick plane you can switch from one hand to another). The max force authorised by FAR23 is ?

Paris, France

The VS movement is surely just an unavoidable side effect.

OT but there is an explanation given by Al Mooney himself: The upright vertical stabilizer is better because a swept back one will lose authority with a high angle of attack. With the vertical stabilizer pivoting forward when trimming nose-up and thus flying a higher angle of attack, this is once again counteracted.

You might argue that this is only a justification for a somewhat odd design decision, but all other planes lose rudder authority at slow speed and fall out of the sky as we know. Moreover, you’ll be banned from the Mooney forum if you say this aloud.

Last Edited by terbang at 31 May 19:38
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I have heard a lot of things about type specific forums

I don’t believe the VS angle is a first order effect, because as you tilt it back its centre of lift gets moved further back from the yaw axis, so it has more leverage. That is why, for a given fuselage length, a swept back VS is preferred. It isn’t for lower drag (at these low subsonic speeds it makes no difference). Presumably the upright VS on Mooneys is the reason they have a longer fuselage.

And anyway the angle through which it moves is pretty small to start with.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The CJ4 has no trim wheels, only electric trim for all 3 axes. However it has a backup pitch trim actuator

I think it’s a backward step. On the rest of the CJ line there is a big wheel by you rright knee and you can feel it moving in flight as the autopilot does it’s stuff, and it would be an early warning of trim runaway,

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

FAR 23.397 says (if I’m not mistaken) max force is 300 Newton. I wouldn’t like to have to exert that force on a Cirrus sidestick after a trim runaway
About scary things and trim runaway:
https://www.bea.aero/uploads/tx_elydbrapports/hb-n110525.pdf local copy

Paris, France

300N is a great deal of force; I would suggest most people would have difficulty pushing or (especially) pulling that hard. And flying the plane at the same time… no way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message