Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basic Service (UK)

Bathman wrote:

Also when going solo I would like to think it gives a watchful eye over them when then turn onto a heading of 030 when they should be in a heading of 330.

If the FISO/ATCO is equiped with a radar and has some spare time, maybe. But it’s not guaranteed.

The UK have the whole mess of outside controlled airspace services partially because pilots when infriging or having an Airprox remark that nobody passed warnings. The ANSP and CAA and … conclude that pilots can’t take their own responsabilities and don’t understand the system is not uniform. And so they come up with various name and various services to try to convey the differences.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

@eddsPeter wrote:

Jacko wrote: Peter, if you got anything other than a Basic service, it wasn’t from Scottish Information (119.875).
Today we got traffic service on this frequency and then we were asked to climb FL070 and got conflicting service. Everything smooth and relaxed.

That’s interesting and unusual, not least because it appears contrary to the info at page 6 of CAP 1434

Just a thought though: what time of day was this? I think that the Scottish Information channel 119.875 is twinned after hours with Scottish Control in which case you’d be talking to an ATCO rather than a FISO. So if you called after the hand-over (about 8 pm, I think) or if on an IFR flight plan during the day Scottish ACC had a spare ATCO to look after you, he or she would be able to offer a traffic or deconfliction service.

Normally, if you want a daytime radar service Scot Info will ask you to climb above FL55 or into the TMA and hand you over to Scottish Control.

During the day, when 119.875 is staffed by FISOs, they can see you on radar but aren’t authorised to offer a radar service… Unless the CAA has changed the rules without updating their 2016 published guidance.

Last Edited by Jacko at 07 Aug 17:22
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Just a thought though: what time of day was this? I think that the Scottish Information channel 119.875 is twinned after hours with Scottish Control in which case you’d be talking to an ATCO rather than a FISO. So if you called after the hand-over (about 8 pm, I think) or if on an IFR flight plan during the day Scottish ACC had a spare ATCO to look after you, he or she would be able to offer a traffic or deconfliction service.

It was today, at 08:45 UTC. And I had filed an IR plan.

EDDS , Germany
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message