Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

Sebastian_G wrote:

My very personal opnion:

Sebastian is right. Don’t rush this. Lots of potential hurdles that could be super expensive. In particular, anything customs related get it in writing.

Last Edited by JasonC at 12 Oct 23:33
EGTK Oxford

@eddsPeter: Congratulations !!!

I can recommend Scanaviation in Copenhagen. They have a turnaround of ca 180-200 engines per year and are well connected to get access to parts and engines worldwide. They helped us a lot with our IO 520 BB this year and I can recommend them.

If you want me to help, send me a PN.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 13 Oct 00:45
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Congratulations Peter, beautifully handled.

Because I am very nervous about flying in singles, but still have to every week for training, I spend a lot of time on the sim doing “impossible turns”, if only for my peace of mind, and I have to agree that, depending on runway length and wind, above 1000’ it is far from impossible, 600’ – 1000’ is marginal, you have to react very quickly, there is no dithering time. Unless you are at Schipol, below 600’ is a no brainer.

Edited to add that on reval I was once given a double engine failure in a twin at 1000’ out of Cambridge. I got it back, marginally.

Last Edited by Timothy at 13 Oct 05:50
EGKB Biggin Hill

Wow, well done sir!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

it happened at around 2500 ft AAL. Looking at the ground track and the altitude figures,

I think the GPS screenshot was taken later, if you look you will see ground speed 0KT and 1394ft altitude. I saw the annotation "This SID requires minimum cl of 7% up to 2500ft " on the map, but could be later or earlier.
However, my thoughts were that 6 min from 2500ft and even turning downwind gives a quite unbelievable sink rate of 416ft/min which is …fantastic or unless the 6 min was TT from departure.

ES?? - Sweden

I’ve never seen a destruction like this.

Catastrophic engine failures are indeed very rare, but when they happen they are often like this. Timothy can tell some stories. I once saw a Bonanza (TIO550?) arrive in “my” hangar with the crankcases having various parts (mostly conrods) sticking out through them; that engine just had an overhaul by some UK shop. There is a lot of power and a lot of inertia and the crankcases are only ~5mm thick aluminium castings which you could go straight through with a single blow of a hammer.

Most of it is probably defective workmanship e.g. grossly wrong torque on cylinder bolts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Luckily I have never had a catastrophic failure in a single.

I’ve had three in twins.

I have a friend who had two simultaneously in a twin (two rebuilds where the same, or complementary, error was made on both sides.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

Now I’m back to answer some of your questions and reply on the advices. We spend the evening yesterday to celebrate together with friend, as Mooney_Driver has strongly recommended when we had our handshake on Friday night.

@loco wrote:

How old was it.

The engine had 1.505 hours but it was installed somewhen around 2001 and the previous owner was only flying175 hours until we bought the plane in 2012. So we did know buying a hangar queen and therefor we took really care on the maintenance especially regarding the engine.

@lenthamen wrote:

But there’s also a portion of luck that needs to be on your side.

This is absolut right. The good weather, the specific departure route in this case and that I have had enough time to climb before the failure occurs, giving me enough time to make the return, is something you can’t count on it.

@Antonio wrote:

As to insurance, I would report it regardless, the sooner the better. Sebastian is probably right, but until you know for sure what triggered the event, it could be an insured event.

You are right. I did it immediately after I got the insurance documents with the insurance numbers and the phone numbers out of the office in Saturday morning. So I think this is immediately. But even, after I was asked today by the GAT office to sign a document for the hangarage of the plane, which should be covered by this special insurance policy I do have, the guy of the insurance company told me, why I did inform him so late on Stuarday about the accident. After the save landing and after giving the official reports, I would have had enough time on the way home by car from Zürich to Stuttgart on Friday night to call him.

And thank you Antonio and @Peter to help me with this 8130-3, I never made my mind about it before. Also for the links to some shops, because I will starrt to quote them for a new engine in Monday morning.

@Mooney_Driver wrote:

MFGZ Maintenance will most likely be who does that job, so I would talk to them asap. They might have ideas too on how to proceed. If you are under a CAMO

I will get into contact with them also Monday morning. As I’m not under CAMO I’m relatively free to organise it my way.

What is the engine type anyway? Is this a turbocharged engine?

It is a Continental IO-550-B, non turbo.

@Sebastian_G wrote:

Insist on all engine quotes to include the bad condition of your engine core. Probably not even worth the shipping cost to send it to the US. I just had a short look online and the core value of such an engine is probably a bit over 15000 USD which has to be added to all engine quotes in this context.

That’s what my mechanic told me after looking on the picture. Thanks for all the other advices too, they are helpful. Luckily my wife is working at a tax consultant so she has to take care on all the tax stuff.

@Thunderstorm18 wrote:

However, my thoughts were that 6 min from 2500ft and even turning downwind gives a quite unbelievable sink rate of 416ft/min which is …fantastic or unless the 6 min was TT from departure.

All in all the flight was 6 minutes from departure to landing. I think the emergency itself gave me around 3 minutes from the moment when it happened to the touchdown, maybe a bit less. I also think the sink rate was at some times greater then what you have mentioned, because I use the first flaps to adjust the touchdown point to my wishes, but I’m not sure.

EDDS , Germany

Impressive!!! Want to hear more details on the cause!

Tököl LHTL

@Thunderstorm18 wrote:

How do you feel now ? Have you done your self/mental debrief? I think it is important, (at least the others say so),
to do a short fly asap to regain confidence.

Thank you for asking. I’m feeling well. I hope to be in the air as soon as possible. And I’m sure it will be with confidence.

What have I done to debrief? Nearly the same as always after a Flight, I have recapture the whole scenario to see if there is something to learn out of it or do it better in the future. The only difference this time was to write it down and post it here – you can see it with my first entry, I posted it 18.01 UTC – so this means less then one hour after landing (17:09 UTC). It helped me to sort me out.

And beside this talking to my wife was the action helping. She told me that I have reported some details several times to her.

Last, I got into contact today with the lady on the departure frequency who had to handle the emergency on her side and could say thank you to her. I can imagine, that for her it was also a real stressful situation. But it is good to know, that they are our friends in the moment when it really counts and that we should keep this our minds during our flights.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message