Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Squawk 2000 for uncontrolled IFR flights in the UK

I have been told the same thing, which surprised me. I wonder if we have the same IRE.

My concern about this IFR squawk thing is whether Eurocontrol will start using it as the basis of raising route charges.

I don’t resent paying charges when in controlled airspace receiving a great service, but if I am flying outside controlled airspace bothering no-one (except maybe with a TMC squawk showing), I have no wish to pay an extra €50ph just because I squawk 2000.

For that reason, I expect to be very liberal in interpreting when I am VMC/VFR outside controlled airspace.

Another potential safety improvement stymied by accountants.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

You become IFR when you no longer meet the requirements for VFR

Nut quite, doesnt SVFR still exist?

Timothy wrote:

same IRE.

Yes, unless you changed very recently!

Arne wrote:

I don’t really understand when this would apply. When does one not have a transponder code when flying IFR?

When arriving from oceanic airspace no one will have a transponder code.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

skydriller wrote:

boscomantico wrote:
Sweden, too. When you take off from some small airfield, and fly to some other small airfield, low level, then there is no clearance, and the flight hence is uncontrolled.

But can you do this IFR?

Yes.

boscomantico wrote:

LFHNflightstudent wrote:
My understanding was that for ANY IFR flight one needs a flight plan.

In the UK, no. In other countries, yes.

Not in Sweden either, provided you fly below 5000’ and outside CAS or RMZ’s.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Oct 18:14

I have for some years now routinely squawked 2000 when departing small airfields for IFR flights. ATC has never acknowledged the squawk and I am not convinced they know what it means, but at least I have done my best to indicate that I am on an IFR flight as soon as I pop up on the radar.
From Denmark AIP ENR-1.6:
f. Pilots, who have not received specific instructions from ATS concerning
the setting of the transponder, shall operate the transponder
as stated in the following:
• IFR flights within København FIR:
Mode-A, Code 2000.
• VFR flights within København FIR:
Mode-A, Code 7000.
• MIL VFR flights within København FIR:
Mode-A, Code 0001.
• Helicopter engaged in off-shore operations:
Mode-A, Code 0040

huv
EKRK, Denmark

It’s interesting to note that most countries seem not to implement the rules for codes 2000 and 7000 given in SERA. Namely that — in the absence of an individual code assignment — 2000 is to be used if you are receiving air traffic services while 7000 is to be used if you are not receiving air traffic services. (SERA.13005 b)

This SERA rule is to be used unless otherwise prescribed so each country is in its full right to have other rules but if most do it kinds of makes the SERA rule pointless.

I was asked to sqwak 2000 by Ostend going VFR from Calais (LFAC) to Breda (EHSE), I recall clearly asking for a low level transit, so I don’t think 2000 is IFR specific?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

2000 is clearly IFR specific in Denmark, and clearly (sort of) not IFR specific in the EASA regulation.

Airborne_Again wrote:

2000 is to be used if you are receiving air traffic services while 7000 is to be used if you are not receiving air traffic services

This I understand. I wish A_A had written the rules. But the SERA text is
(2) in the absence of ATS instructions related to code setting, select code 2000 or another code as prescribed by the competent authority; or
(3) when not receiving air traffic services, select code 7000 in order to improve the detection of suitably equipped aircraft unless otherwise prescribed by the competent authority.
Especially the small “or” makes the meaning ambiguous, at least to me.

Last Edited by huv at 28 Oct 19:59
huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message