Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When to descent at a fly-by waypoint

How are you supposed to go from the hold to the IF in an approach like this?

I’ve always found that the “self position until you are 90 degrees” and incredibly bad procedure, and if indeed if it’s the right one, the system seems incredibly dumb / probably dangerous

That kind of procedure would not be found in TERPS.

KUZA, United States

Noe wrote:

How are you supposed to go from the hold to the IF in an approach like this?

The TAA cake slice extends to 265°, so you would ensure that you were above the TAA of 2800’, head about 315° to intercept 285° into UVNOP, turn at UVNOP to the IF

I’ve always found that the “self position until you are 90 degrees” and incredibly bad procedure, and if indeed if it’s the right one, the system seems incredibly dumb / probably dangerous

It’s not great, but I think “incredibly dumb / probably dangerous” is rather over-egging the pudding.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

The TAA cake slice extends to 265°, so you would ensure that you were above the TAA of 2800’, head about 315° to intercept 285° into UVNOP, turn at UVNOP to the IF

This procedure seems to me unusual in that the “centre” of the arrival sectors is the IF (BJ09I) and not the IAFs! So you could fly direct to BJ09I, then make a 180 and intercept the final approach course.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

This procedure seems to me unusual in that the “centre” of the arrival sectors is the IF (BJ09I) and not the IAFs!

I would describe that as the norm, rather than the exception.

Airborne_Again wrote:

So you could fly direct to BJ09I, then make a 180 and intercept the final approach course.

I would say not because you cannot turn more than 100° at the IF.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy, yes maybe a bit strong. But shouldn’t a good procedure allow you to fly direct from any point of the hold / missed approach directly to an IAF

Last Edited by Noe at 15 Nov 19:40

Noe wrote:

directly to an IF

There is only one IF. I am thinking you mean IAF, in which case I agree.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks, corrected. By dangerous, I mean that designing a procedure that does not allow a direct to an IAF following a go around (or form the hold) might cause unnecessary stress / confusion to someone who likely is under high workload already

Timothy wrote:

rather over-egging the pudding

For someone whose native tongue is not English, there is frequently a benefit from reading Timothy’s posts that is beyond that about aviation wisdom.

Conversely, what I have always admired the English speaking world for, is the how they gladly put up with how the rest of the world abuse and torture their language, not least on aviation VHF frequencies, but also in documents like NOTAMs and translated manuals.
The Germans are also quite relaxed about that, while the French have many other virtues.

Pardon the drift, I’ll be back on track right away.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Idioms are fun to use, and the feedback I’ve had is that many find them fun to read, but with the majority audience being non-UK, I normally live-link them to a suitable explanation. Urban Dictionary is good for that but it is best checked before using the link since it can be excessively vulgar

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message