Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two fatal crashes in France today F-GIKZ and F-GSBS

The US has developed a solution to remain anonymous (sort of) with ADS-B:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/february/pilot/ads-b-incognito

I’ll probably get lynched over this, but here goes anyway. A 75 year old pilot…. with “only” 500 hours total time. Honestly what is somebody like that doing flying passengers (2 of them) around for a discovery flight.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

The US has developed a solution to remain anonymous (sort of) with ADS-B

That is the UAT band, which is (basically) only in the US.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Honestly what is somebody like that doing flying passengers (2 of them) around for a discovery flight.

This is very common in French flying clubs, under the “baptême” system. You need 200 hours total, and 30 hours in the last 12 months to carry out these flights with a PPL. They are not instructional flights, just pleasure flights with passengers, the only difference being the pilot does not pay anything for doing them.

The pilot in question was also the president of the club.

The pilot of the Pioneer was an Italian based in Châtellerault, a well-known importer and seller of various brands of microlight.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 11 Oct 20:09
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

That one is so sad.
Actually there are really bad habits in France. Where I’m flying (LFMN Fir), we often see copter low lever without transponder, and ATC sometime calls us to warn, but not always. Some copters, but also a lot of UL, without transponder.
Last week I received To clearance from ATC tower, when at the same time a UL was cleared to overfly the runway threshold. ATC didn’t warn me about it and I saw it on my left wing when I was roughly 600ft (the UL was at 500ft), probably 50m. I didn’t issue an airprox although I should have (as in class D, pilots are responsible for anti collision but control must gives position – which hasn’t been the case).
I agree that ADSB based could help, but it has to be a strong call to equip all flying objects… The main issue for me is the oldies in ULM, and probably how LAPL is taught.

2 months ago, 2 paragliders (the ones with big fan on backpack :P) at 5000ft in Nice TMA.

I think we need radars…

C19 probably kept people far from flying for too much time.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 11 Oct 20:10
LFMD, France

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

This is very common in French flying clubs, under the “baptême” system. You need 200 hours total, and 30 hours in the last 12 months to carry out these flights with a PPL. They are not instructional flights, just pleasure flights with passengers, the only difference being the pilot does not pay anything for doing them.

I think 75 year olds can fly planes safely, if they have a ton of experience. 500h at age 75 I just don’t know…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I am not sure how much experience is needed here? the flight is sunny day “VFR scenery flight” the only risks are mid-air collision with traffic? or loss of control with distraction? In my vintage flying clubs these goes to qualified instructors or listed pilots with more than 300h AND who keep current (plus 3h a month on type)

Aside from aerobatics, “trial flights” are no different from taking pax on PPL and they don’t require exceptional skills?

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Oct 21:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This made the news even in Austria:

Unnecessary in times where an inexpensive solution is readily available. All planes gliders and para-whatevers should be equipped imho!

I don’t see any technical issues. The US has much more ga activity and managed it fine. Uaviomix Skybeacon comes to mind.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Oct 21:13
always learning
LO__, Austria

Jujupilote wrote:

The DR was based in LFBI so it had prob99 a working transponder
Its callsign is not available on FR24, but it’s on flightaware. It was usng the correct half-circle rule altitudes on the way out and back. The trick I have learnt (after a close encounter) is to scan on the correct side depending on one’s own track.
LFHNflightstudent wrote:
500h at age 75 I just don’t know…
It’s irrelevant. We had a guy who started flying at 69, if he get’s to 500h by 75 he would be very proficient.
NB I’m 100% for trafic (and weather if possible) ADS-B in Europe.
ESMK, Sweden

Funny to see americans loving ADS-B

Where did you see that? Not on this thread anyway, or at least not prior to your response. The only person in the US who said they love it was me. And I’m not American. I do happen to think the FAA does a vastly better job than EASA or any of the European xAAs, but I don’t have American views about freedom etc.

I have no idea whether 172 driver has subsequently confirmed your conjecture, since I don’t know if (s)he’s American.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message