Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What exactly causes Eurocontrol tracking to start and end?

So how does VFR traffic handover happen between, say, London Info and Lille APP? They don’t coordinate at all then?

Lille got a copy of the FP – it was explicitly addressed to it, or to their FIR more likely. The agency to whom you sent the VFR FP is responsible for doing that, generally, but this varies. Many previous threads on VFR addressing.

I have never used 1000 on my transponder.

I’ve had it only in S. France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have never used 1000 on my transponder

I always have flying IFR in France (FL120 = 1000 = 100% of the time, I think you always get radar and identified ModeS, you get AR tracking with it as well)

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Oct 11:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have always been given a transponder code in IFR. VFR its 7000 outside CAS and given a code when entering CAS. I always find that with La Rochelle TMA and approach VFR each call for transit and entry is given a consecutive code.
It used to be if you called up in French you were given a code starting in 12 and if you called up in English you got a code starting with 60 (it might have been the other way round).
But in the last 30 or so years I have never used 1000 as a code or been asked to squawk 1000.
And I admit I have never heard of it until you mentioned it here so I would like to find more information.on that squawk.
Do they ask to squawk 1000 in French or English? And if in French what is the phraseology?

Last Edited by gallois at 19 Oct 15:02
France

gallois wrote:

But in the last 30 or so years I have never used 1000 as a code or been asked to squawk 1000.

Mode S did not exist 30 years ago, you have not flown that much IFR in Delta in last 4 years? :)

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Oct 15:08

The squawk 1000 discussion made me aware of a change: I used to get 1000 all the time in France in the last few years, but not during the last couple of flights. Has this changed again?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I have flown some 300 hours IR MEP with mode S PBN in the last 5 years in G,D and A airspace and no I have never been asked to squawk 1000.
This is why I asked the questions. It’s new to me.

France

What I can say, very puzzling but YMMV

Go FR24, altitude = FL100-FL180 & code = 1000

The squawk 1000 discussion made me aware of a change: I used to get 1000 all the time in France in the last few years, but not during the last couple of flights. Has this changed again?

I got 1000 Rouen-Dinard end of July but on my recent 6 flights after annual in Aug/Sep all were on different squawks, so maybe they reverted something?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Oct 17:41

I often get squawk 1000 when on “I” FPL and FL110 and above was filed (mode S capability is required and I guess it’s related to some PBN capability as well).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

arj1 wrote:

So how does VFR traffic handover happen between, say, London Info and Lille APP? They don’t coordinate at all then?

Coordination has nothing to do with Eurocontrol. The two ATS units talk to each other over phone lines. If they coordinate at all, which is far from certain in the case of VFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Some/most cases of border crossings cannot be done legally non-radio. Various threads on that – example. The Eurocontrol system deals with all that automatically.

Reading between the lines, it seems that either nobody knows the answer to the topic or it is nontrivial and nobody wants (or is able; I find the secrecy in the ATC system slightly weird, but maybe there are reasons for it because being able to game it could be handy) to post it all. But somehow it works – most of the time.

I will try to do a test with a change from the EC squawk to 7000 at a specific time and then look back at when tracking was lost, or gained if going the other way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message