Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get the best MPG with a plane?

Carson speed is multiplier of best L/D speed, the latter is pure geometric thingy where lift/drag angle remain the same irrespective of altitude when the power is off, in nil winds, for a giving altitude you will find that best L/D speed delivers max f(x) = max(distance) while Carson speed delivers max f(x) = max(distance*speed)

When flying with power straight and level, you are using power to “recover” altitude such it remains the sams but you still get those optimal f(x) in nil winds assuming as long as your engine have power to fly those said speeds while keeping altitude constant, you will find that changing altitude does not change you MPG at best L/D and does not change MPG*TAS at Carson speed

In reality, winds changes laterally & vertically, turbulent air, TAS/IAS does not follow ISA and piston engines are not designed for those speeds on hot days, plus it’s too slow !

As proxy Vld is near Vref, Carson is 1.3*Vld, so you are looking for 2*VS and maybe +15kts/-5kts depending on winds

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Oct 18:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Carson speed is multiplier of best L/D speed

That multiplier is said to be a constant.

The rest of the above I don’t understand. I think some words are missing, and/or puctuation?

Therein it is concluded that MPG increases over altitude

As the air is thinner, pumping losses reduce because the throttle can be more open. But there are many other factors e.g. prop efficiency varies (and in a complex way). Engine efficiency varies too, and this is a prime reason why best MPG is not obtained at best-l/d speed (at such low power settings, mechanical losses are proportionally bigger, as can be seen from the non-equal 0 intercepts on the axes here).

Pumping losses were known to be very important way back in ww2 – see here and in the book on WW2 engine development mentioned here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The rest of the above I don’t understand. I think some words are missing, and/or puctuation?

I hope someone else understands it, it’s highly technical and not for everybody…
There is the article Dan published, I suggest that as start

SEP efficiency

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Oct 18:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That PDF was posted above by Dan.

I wrote up some notes on engine management here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message