Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some subtle changes in the UK process for non UK ICAO licence validation for G-reg aircraft - ICAO IR is now valid for CAS

Shanwick wrote:

It would be nice if the CAA would issue some guidance on this

No it wouldn’t, don’t draw their attention to it – they might take it away :-) Seriously, I think the wording in the ANO is actually pretty clear on it – and no guidance is needed (and if you ask for “guidance” it’ll always be given in the most restrictive interpretation to cover arses)

Last Edited by alioth at 18 Jan 13:45
Andreas IOM

mancival, amateur-built aircraft are not covered by the right of non-scheduled flight established in article 5 of the Chicago Convention. Refer instead to ECAC recommendation INT.S/11-1 of 1980, discussed in the threads ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental and How do “homebuilt” pilots get the permits?

For aircraft with a standard certificate of airworthiness, article 33 of the convention requires contracting states to recognise certificates of competency (flight crew licences) which are rendered valid by the state of registry. This means the state of registry, the state of licence issue, and the state in whose airspace the aircraft flies need not all be identical. However it’s not clear whether article 33 applies to pilots of amateur-built aircraft.

London, United Kingdom

However it’s not clear whether article 33 applies to pilots of amateur-built aircraft.

If not expressly excluded, it should be included

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to be crystal clear, does this mean that an FAA/IR can now fly a regular G-Reg certified IFR aircraft (such as an airways equipped Piper or Cessna)

1) IFR, including in Class A Airspace in the UK

and

2) IFR including Class A Airspace anywhere in the world?

(If so, it is a phase-change over what used to be possible)

Yes; that’s what it says.

As I posted at the top, you could do IFR for most of past decades but only OCAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But that is directly at odds with what I received from the CAA (Their confirmation of the SRG2140 Declaration)

This email confirms receipt of your declaration made on form SRG2140.

As the current holder of an FAA licence with a validating medical certificate, you are entitled to exercise the private privileges of the ratings for which you are qualified on your FAA certificate in UK Airspace without remuneration.

Please note that your privileges on G-registered aircraft are restricted to day VFR regardless of the medical held, as stated in ORS no.1228: ORS4. FAA Certificate holders with a valid IR flying N-registered aircraft may continue to exercise IFR privileges in UK Airspace.

Should you be ramped checked, you will have to produce a copy of your declaration made on form SRG2140 and a copy of this email.

* My bold

Peter wrote:

Yes; that’s what it says.

Articles 137 and 150 apply only to UK non–Part-21 aircraft.

Pilot-H, ORS4 No. 1380 (link), which is now current, makes no reference to flight rules or meteorological conditions.

ORS4 No. 1380 local copy

London, United Kingdom

Maybe useful to other pilots who, like me, didn’t convert their (ex-EASA)-UK-PPL before 2021. Some EU Countries still accept pilots with third-country licenses (e.g. FAA or UK PPL), but just for VFR flights.
Malta till mid-2021 (likely extended) and Ireland till 2022 (maybe also extended). Not sure how many other EU Countries allow this (this link is old https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Derogation%20TABLE_30%2003%2015%20version%20XXII.xlsx).
It is still not clear to me if this means these EU countries allow an FAA PPL holder to fly any EU-reg ONLY in their national airspace (not very useful to me), or they allow an FAA PPL holder to fly their national reg-plane in ANY EU airspace (would be more useful to me).

United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message