Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best way to download Jeppesen paper charts

Jeppesen Elink Portal.

Isn’t that the special site they run for airline pilots?

Perhaps life would be better if I managed to get Jeppview on my Mac??

I don’t recall them ever doing a Mac version, but it does run under a VMWARE VM (assuming a 80×86 processor).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The IOS based devices cannot print (usefully)

Yes, they can. I use it every day.

ESME, ESMS

Snoopy wrote:

Jeppesen Elink Portal

What is Elink. Does this mean I could access my Jeppview services from my Mac and print from there? That would be great.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Perhaps life would be better if I managed to get Jeppview on my Mac?? I cant find out whether this is possible or not, of if I would still have to set up Parrallels on my Mac to do so.

I run JeppView on my Mac under Parallels. JeppView is a rather clunky application but apart from that it works quite well. I’ve had no issues with updates other than that they are unreasonably slow. Several times slower than updating Jepp FD och an iPad.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, they can. I use it every day.

While at the keyboard, Dimme, why not use the opportunity to eddddukkkate? Specifically, describe the process whereby you can produce a nice PDF for a whole airport from JeppFD under IOS. I am sure many would be very interested

JeppView is a rather clunky application but apart from that it works quite well.

Yes; I have used this software for many years but only for

• printing routepacks
  • producing pics of the route for my trip writeups
  • printing PDFs

It’s no good for anything else; the supplied perf models are mostly garbage AFAICT.

Administrator

Updating Jepp charts using ForeFlight is very easy. It lets you know when there are updates available for download similar to the Apple app store icon with a small number in a red circle indicating how many charts. You can either let ForeFlight update automatically or if you want to control when they happen you can set it to start the updating manually.

Also in ForeFlight you can print the Jeppesen charts of which you want paper copies using the standard Apple “send” icon (box with exiting arrow). There is a description of this process here on the ForeFlight web site.

One thing I really like about the Jepp charts in ForeFlight is the annotation capability to highlight items on an approach chart as an aid to briefing.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

While at the keyboard, Dimme, why not use the opportunity to eddddukkkate?
  1. Open ddddesired iOS applikkkation.
  2. Select item to print.
  3. In the upper right kkkorner there is usually an arrow of some sort, selekkkt that arrow and then selekkkt print.
  4. Select ddddesired printer, or print server, or Makkk sharing a printer.
  5. Kkkollekkkt printedddd ddddokkkument ddddispensed by the ddddesired printer.
  6. Profit?
ESME, ESMS

Yeah; that prints one page. Gosh even I knew that

How do you get JeppFD to sequence through all the charts for an airport and print them out in sequence, A5, two per page. Or generate a single PDF, 2 charts per page. Without sitting there and doing each page manually.

Historically this was doable on a jailbroken Ipad, but the really great “remote control” apps were available only under Android.

Maybe Apple have relaxed things since that old thread I linked above? I spent many hours with various “PDF generating/printing” apps on an Ipad.

For windoze, programs which fake a printer and combine pages like that have been around since for ever. But nothing (built into windows) will “drive” the primary executable to display the next page so it can be printed.

Administrator

That’s a Foreflight issue, not an iOS issue. If a document has multiple pages you can print them in sequence, double-sided, etc etc.

But hey, it’s possible

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Peter wrote:

The IOS based devices cannot print (usefully)

Can you clarify this opinion? I also print Jepp charts from ForeFlight occasionally, although with time I feel it less and less necessary but that’s another discussion.

In ForeFlight, one can create an airport “pack” and then print it. Although ForeFlight could improve it slightly, I find it eminently useable.
1) Create a binder for the airport under Charts
2) Click on the “+ add plate” square while within the binder. This pops up a search field for typing in the airport code, as well as a list of previously selected airports. This returns a list of all charts for the airport, with a + button after each. If all the charts are desired, then they do need to be clicked on the + one at a time….. but it goes fast because they are just “added to the binder” and one doesn’t need to wait …. just go down the list quickly clicking on the desired charts.
3) Click the print icon at the top to print all the charts in the binder.

If you have a Mac, there are a lot of native options and possibilities for sharing between an ipad or iphone and the Mac. Otherwise, the Printopia app works well including printing to pdf on the Mac.

BTW, the charts in a binder are also updated whenever there is a chart change. So if you fly somewhere often you can create a binder with all the charts and it is always up to date as long as downloads are current. It can be reprinted for every trip to ensure the most recent version.

Congrats @Peter if you have a printer that prints A5 double-sided. That seems to be quite rare.

Last Edited by chflyer at 22 Mar 15:54
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message