Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip to the island Norderney (EDWY) - Guests not welcome

Although we are not in France, we do have holidays. So we decided to make a day trip to the North Sea to visit the island of Norderney, because we haven‘t been there before. To say it in advance, the island was beautiful, but we will never go there again, because they don‘t want to have foreigners on the island. We were told son in person, after a few miles of cycling and you can read it on the Nordeney internet page as well, as in the Island newspaper. Guests are not welcome. Sorry to say, but this is the ugly face of Germany.

But beside this it was a nice flight. Departing in the morning from EDDS heading to EDWF for refueling. When refueling there you don‘t have to pay landing fees and the fuel is really cheap: 1.84 € per liter.

Merceds Benz Arena in Stuttgart.

Bernburg

They are digging turf.

EDWF

Preparing the Kwiggles for the tour.

The famous lighthouse of Norderney.

After 4 hours on the island, we need to go, to be back in Stuttgart before the grocery closes. But on the way home we got some nice views.

All in all it was a nice to be at the seafront for a day and I think the Bonnie loves it to go some hours (4 h 15 minutes) a day.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

Guests are not welcome.

I wouldn’t care less about that if whole island is not private property, they can only whine.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for another “Germany-Report”! Sad to hear about the rejection you had on Nordeney. These Covid times are really strange. I think that all German islands, at least those located in Niedersachsen, are very “protective” on any guests at the moment. You’re simply not welcome, as you might bring the virus on ‘their’ island. It’s even worse, when people tell you this in person on the island. It’s very bad advertisement and imho not a civil human way to deal with the situation. My region was also trying to avoid tourists, when there was a lot of snow after Christmas. Nonetheless, it was truly necassery, as too many people and cars came towards Winterberg for sledging and the entire region was one big traffic jam. After the chaos was over, the tourist offices directly said people are welcome again and now with open ski areas, everything works out quite well.

Last Edited by Frans at 31 Mar 21:15
Switzerland

the island was beautiful, but we will never go there again, because they don‘t want to have foreigners on the island.

As usual there are always two sides of a coin. We are in crazy times, so we have crazy rules.

Even the tourism office of Norderney asks visitors not to come to the island, and you are surprised they are not happy about your visit but also describe them as “the ugly face of Germany”.

https://www.norderney.de/wir-ueber-uns/corona-norderney.html

“WANN KANN ICH WIEDER URLAUB AUF NORDERNEY MACHEN?
Leider wissen wir auch nicht, wann touristische Reisen wieder erlaubt sind und das Beherbergungsverbot aufgehoben wird. Wir müssen uns wie alle anderen auch nach den Bestimmungen der Bundes- bzw. Landesregierung richten. Wir werden Sie auf unserer Website und auf unseren Social-Media Kanälen auf dem Laufenden halten.

IST TAGESTOURISMUS ZUR ZEIT ERLAUBT?
Tagestourismus ist zur Zeit nicht durch offizielle Verordnungen verboten. Wir bitten Sie jedoch darum, nicht zu tagestouristischen Zwecken nach Norderney zu kommen. Damit wir Sie so schnell wie möglich wieder als Gast bei uns begrüßen dürfen, müssen wir jetzt besonders vorsichtig sein und mehr denn je aufeinander Rücksicht nehmen!"

Google translation:
“WHEN CAN I VACATION IN NORDERNEY AGAIN?
Unfortunately, we also do not know when tourist trips will be allowed again and when the ban on accommodation will be lifted. Like everyone else, we must comply with the provisions of the federal or state government. We will keep you up to date on our website and on our social media channels.

IS DAY TOURISM CURRENTLY ALLOWED?
Day tourism is currently not prohibited by official regulations. However, we ask you not to come to Norderney for day tourism purposes. So that we can welcome you back as our guest as soon as possible, we have to be particularly careful now and show more consideration for each other than ever! "

Sorry to spoil the party.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

It’s the same on Islands everywhere, I think Peter pointed the situation at Scillies, which you can’t visit as the locals owned the airport PPR, same at Isle of White where people had to stay in Sandown or Islanders gets hot on the airfield

On exceptional times, it’s different between reading it on a website “that visitors are not welcome” and being “told in person to go away while cycling and minding your business”, I am sure everybody will take the latter personal, it’s a public land and you are not asking the local for a hug, after all what that person is doing outside his home in these exceptional times, he should stay indoor

Nice flying day though !

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Mar 22:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As I was reading this thread an advertisement came on the TV in the same room (apparently I’m multi-tasking). “Come on down to the Florida Keys and Key West”… with nice sunset video etc. It’s a strange world.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Apr 02:16

It’s the same on Islands everywhere

Not in Croatia. Although people are bit more sensitive in those closed and relatively older communities and they have reasons to be more careful, nobody will tell you that you’re not welcome.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Bicycles look very compact. What are they? Are you happy with them? Will they fit in a baggage screening machine?

Last Edited by loco at 01 Apr 05:13
LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

Bicycles look very compact. What are they? Are you happy with them? Will they fit in a baggage screening machine?

I believe those are the Kwiggle folding bicycles Would also be very interested if Peter would be so kind and maybe write a few words on them as I am pondering purchasing them as well.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Another great report Peter

Bike thread

Yes indeed the Croatian islands were most welcoming, and really well organised, when I was able to visit during 2020. The “British” islands just shut at any opportunity. Alderney is still shut a year later.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message