Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFT (instrument flight time) & IFR

Peter wrote:

Today, is IFR-PIC time of any relevance towards anything? Instrument-PIC or instrument-dual, yes, towards an IR (EASA, or FAA in the dual case).

It definitely counts toward ICAO IR conversion routes (CB IR in the UK + 50hr IFR PIC XC → EASA CB IR, for example), but there is no such column in my logbook – I have to count it separately. My logbook only has instrument time, which I count as time in actual or simulated IMC, not that anyone can dispute that number :).

EGTR

Pirho wrote:

don’t know if its still technically in effect

That went out nearly a decade ago.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

That went out nearly a decade ago.

I suspected so, although it is still printed on the “current” (dated 2006) SRG1128.

United Kingdom

For the purpose of sorting a logbook in a CBIR application, what is relevant is training hours which must be with an IRI to count, and Instrument time which is sole reference to instruments.
Actually the CAA forms require a greater break-down of hours but the key elements are training hours, P1 hours – sole reference to instruments (either under the hood or in actual cloud) and cross country hours.

United Kingdom

For CBIR, CAA accept 15h BSRFI with ANY instructor, 10h BSRFI with IRI in ATO and 15h PIC IFR OCAS using the rating,

But one need to find an ATO to do 10h only for CBIR? realistically it’s 20h for people using IMCr to it’s limit and super current in aircraft and/or sim, +40h for those who jist used IMCr as “out of jail card”

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Competency-based-instrument-rating/

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

CAA accept 15h BSRFI with ANY instructor

The majority of the dual instrument flight time under instruction required for a Canadian IR may be carried out with a properly authorised instructor who need not hold a flight instructor rating (link).

London, United Kingdom

I think all of the above just reinforces my recommendation – log all the facts in Excel, and then extract the required information to satisfy the requirement of what you need to demonstrate, and for he most pernickety of them, in the required column order… it is impossible to anticipate every possible whim of the regulators in fhe next few decates.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

log all the facts in Excel

I agree fundamentally… but is there a list of ALL facts one may potentially have to show to some authority at some point?

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

I agree fundamentally… but is there a list of ALL facts one may potentially have to show to some authority at some point?

:))) NO!!!

That would be way too easy! :)

EGTR

Alpha_Floor wrote:

but is there a list of ALL facts one may potentially have to show to some authority at some point

Nope, and of course the history is riddled with transitions where the goalposts were moved, and some transitional arrangements had to be found. Examples in the past 20 years in Europe included a way for people who only logged ‘sole reference’ time to get credit for IFR time [quoted earlier in this thread] or additional time credits when experience requirements increased moved to block times when previously time was logged take-off to touchdown.

Even more fun for those who want to be ultra-correct: The definition of ‘night’ changed in many countries from SS+30 – SR-30 to 6 degrees below the horizon. Do you now go back over the logbook an correct all the night times according to that new rule when calculating the 100 hour minimum night for ATPL? Who cares?

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message