Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving my plane to France

Ah crap! Look, the important thing is that you and your buddy walked away unharmed. Hope you get in the air again soon!

A landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Such terrible bad luck. My sympathies.

Not that it means a lot to you, but in my view you did was each of us is trained to do. After coming over the hill, you realised that you didn’t have enough runway left and an accident was imminent. We are all trained to immediately add power and go-around if there is any question over not having enough runway left. We are trained to do that immediately without delay and before considering any alternative.

Unfortunately in your case, the doubt over the runway length was delayed because of the hump in the runway. Once over it, you instinctively did what we are all trained to do. It’s just unfortunate that it was the wrong thing in this case.

I hope you find another aircraft and get yourself back flying soon

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Very sorry to hear, Johnh. But the main thing is that you walked away from it.

You can get another C182. The market is changing, with the bubble deflating. So buying will be getting easier and prices will come down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good luck and bad luck at the same time. Good to read that both of you stayed unharmed. I hope you will get in the air again soon!

EDDS , Germany

Having read your blog IMO 172driver sums it up succinctly. “Oh crap”.

France

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

You can get another C182.

For the moment I’m not thinking of getting another plane just yet anyway, and if I did, I’d already figured that my TR182 was not a good fit for French/European flying. That said, I just looked and was horrified to see a plane just like mine – 1982 TR182, nice condition, nice avionics – on sale for €258,000 in Austria. That is more than double what mine was insured for.

Trouble is, I can’t figure out what IS a good fit. Probably one of the new Rotax 915 “LSA++” planes like the Bristell or the Elixir, but I don’t think I want to spend that much.

So I guess it’ll be aeroclub DR400s and PA28s for now. Probably won’t fly very much :-(

LFMD, France

What was the hull value insured? And how much did the insurance pay out? Did they buy the remains of the aircraft from you or did they leave it to you?

Unless one always has the same mission, there never is such thing as a perfectly fitting plane.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What was the hull value insured?

$120K – based on the valuation I did for French customs, in late 2020. I knew that was a bit low, but €258K beggars belief.

The insurance paid the full value, with no hassle. The remains stayed with me, though I have sold them for a nominal sum to the people who will retrieve them.

You’re right about mission, but the TR182 is the perfect plane for “flying to go somewhere” – reasonably fast, turbo, relatively roomy inside. And that (as I’ve said before) except for a few brave souls who do it for the challenge, isn’t really a thing in Europe. Nice is an odd place because it’s practically an island – an hour’s flight from anywhere else. The scenery is beautiful from the air – the first time, the second time, maybe the tenth time. But after a while it’d be a bit like being a Hawaii heli pilot.

LFMD, France

$120k is €100k – you will unfortunately not get nowhere with that for big-bore RG tourers. Not even if prices are going down a bit these days.

I agree always flying within the same 150NM circle of home base gets boring very quickly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message