Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR route EHLE - EGKB

I'm looking for an IFR route for EHLE-EGKB, which goes via the COSTA or KOKSY VOR.

All suggested routes go via the L980 airway, i.e.:

EHLE VALKO L980 TRIPO EGKB

While that is a very efficient route (GC +1%), it will put me over the North Sea for almost the entire flight...

For the return flight EGKB-EHLE I found:

EGKB DCT DET DCT DVR L9 KONAN L607 KOK DCT HELEN N873 EKROS L980 PAM EHLE

which is fine as it has only a short crossing DVR -> KOK.

How big a deviation can you accept from route to satisfy having a short crossing? Most seem to add on ~50nm

eg. DCT PAM N872 DENOX L607 KONAN DCT DET DCT

United Kingdom

PAM N872 NIK DCT ONO DCT KOK DCT TIVLO DCT DET

Adds about 40NM to GC. Compared to the impossible DCT KOK DCT, it adds about 20NM.

LSZK, Switzerland

One of the risks in the multiple DCT approach is you sometimes wind up planning through 'restricted' airspace. I am pretty sure the military has the airspace above FL050 at ONO, so you will need to run low across there in real life (but it does validate). I would MAK L607, confident that will work and hopeful of getting NIK KOK or NIK KONAN as a short cut (I always like to have planned for the worst likely route rather than the most hopeful)

EGTF

One of the risks in the multiple DCT approach is you sometimes wind up planning through 'restricted' airspace.

That can happen regardless of DCT vs Airways. The one time I had to fly a long detour due to an active military sector was when I was filing an airway.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks for the suggestions! Tomjnx's route is what I was looking for.

How big a deviation can you accept from route to satisfy having a short crossing?

I went to Shoreham EGKA two weeks ago, flying the "long" crossing via L980. During summertime I have no issues flying over water in a SEP. I fly IFR at a high level which gives me some time to plan for a ditch and activate SAR.

I'm planning to go to Biggin Hill in October, together with a VFR-only pilot. He indicated he prefers to fly a shorter crossing, via Oostende. It was just bugging me that I could not find a working route...

It can. But it is rare. Filing a DCT through an active piece of military airspace is virtually guaranteed to get modified on the day. If you are on airways, recently validated, and have looked at NOTAMs it is exceptionally unlikely you will fly a longer than plan route (excepting of course weather diversions and holds).

EGTF
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message