Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

You can already download the charts well in advance. It would not be much different, except that the PDF files would then contain georeferencing information.

As discussed elsewhere, one of the bigger issues is the unavailability of a decent geopdf viewer. Acrobat reader cannot display an ownship symbol, Avenza only manages to display one page files. None do any automatic chart selection.

The briefing pack already contains georef information for pretty much all horizontal charts (where there is a magenta line), so if anyone manages to get an ownship symbol on any of these charts, I’d like to know how

LSZK, Switzerland

chart calibration together with ownship position would be great.
I could live with a part manual post processing in advance with an affordable GIS tool….it that would exist.
What would be crucial is that you can select the GEO reffed IAP easily from a straightforward menu and pops up without too much fiddling…So you can revert back to whatever you are using as MFD tablet GPS software

EBST

As GA pilots we are burdened with regulation (i.e. 8.33mhz radio) but something sensible like a common format for all EASA countries to use on AIP approach plates seems not to have penetrated the “minds” that formulate the Single European Sky policy at EASA.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

something sensible like a common format for all EASA countries to use on AIP approach plates

Yes, the German layout for everybody!

Oh no, the French layout is better!

Nah, we have to standardize on the UK layout.

Europe works differently I think it’s mostly fine with today’s charts. I have very few problems getting information out of them.

Last Edited by achimha at 28 Apr 15:25

Propman, it has already significantly improved over the last years. Most are following ICAO chart recommendations now…though they are not designed for cockpit use
I believe one could make a good IAP cockpit usable template based on existing XML data found is several reference Data bases e.g. frequencies navaids etc… some kind of basic brief strip a la jepp..in combination with a graphical layout as found in the AIP below.
What is bothering me is the small print on the ICAO charts for the frequencies of VOR’s, DME’s and so on that you need to tune to shoot the APP on top they tend to be in the most strange locations on the map sometimes..
JEPP and LIDO are on a different playground….

EBST

Most are following ICAO chart recommendations now…though they are not designed for cockpit use

Who says they are not designed for cockpit use? I think that is mostly Jepp propaganda. If I compare e.g. the German AIPs charts to Jeppesen, I don’t see a lot of reason to complain, they are perfectly useable with the only caveat of not containing a pre-calculated DA/MDA.

A business built on charging 2000 € a year to present public domain information in a readable format is not something I have great respect for.

Who says they are not designed for cockpit use?

Most are readable at A4 and a lot of the text is not readable (unless you are young, in which case you usually don’t yet have the money to fly IFR ) at A5.

Of course one can “made do” and the zero cost is a big incentive, but the reality is that everybody who can buy or borrow Jepps is flying with Jepps.

It’s a missed opportunity for the various CAAs, but then (as I wrote before) I think they have done a business deal with Jepp for the use of their IP and they are unable to produce Jepp-like terminal charts even if they wanted to.

Same as the UK CAA’s apparently exclusive deal with Memory Map prevents the UK CAA publishing the VFR enroute charts in a way which bypasses MM – AFAICS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most are readable at A4 and a lot of the text is not readable

I use them on my mobile phone and I can zoom in any portion I like. Don’t see a problem. Used a larger tablet in the past which I now keep as a backup. The current 6" phones are fantastic for cockpit use.

Maybe some people print charts and look at them with their monocle but I can’t comment on that from experience

I think they have done a business deal with Jepp for the use of their IP and they are unable to produce Jepp-like terminal charts even if they wanted to.

Why would Jepp need any sort of deal? The information is publicly available, the CAAs are required to publish charts in an ICAO defined format and they doing that job quite well by now. I don’t see what Jepp would gain by paying them money.

The current 6" phones are fantastic for cockpit use.

That’s because you are young

When you get to about 45, it will suddenly hit you.

Why would Jepp need any sort of deal?

Look up the threads here (or stuff on google) on the court case against Jepp in Australia. The outcome is a tightly guarded secret, but the likely outcome is pretty obvious in light of what has been happening since.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For those who have experience with various national AIP plates – which country makes them the best in your opinion? Can you name one that could withstand competition with Jepp or no such?

EP..
Sign in to add your message