Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Europe for the first time!

File IFR plan LFPM to LFKF ( I have learned that I may have to deal with IFR departure time slots near Paris region, due to air traffic congestion)

You will not be able to fly IFR out of Melun LFPM without Tower ATC (check NOTAMS but they have not been around for ages now) and Seine SIV (sort of Delivery ATC) is way under staffed with erratic opening times, the airfield will be French only on radio, so learning some basics beforehand may help !

You can file I-FPL but you may end up flying on your own (VFR or IFR) without clearance very south untill 40nm DME POY before picking your clearance (or ask to join airspace near Auxerre & Troyes if you can get hold of them)

Maybe too much steep learning curve for a first flight from Paris but more details on how to depart IFR without ATC are here (something similar to “void time clearance” from US non-towred IFR airports)

IFR pickup

Good luck with Corsica/South, no idea about summer availability, we fly there in Octobers

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 20:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Is there another airport in Corsica that may be easier to find parking and PPR? How about LFKJ?

Is there a clearance phone number, I can call to pick up clearance on the ground. It’s routine here in US for non-towered airports

Last Edited by AviatorMD at 13 Jul 20:52
New York, United States

is there a clearance phone number, I can call to pick up clearance on the ground

It’s in the other post…I am assuming during checkout at Melun the instructor/pilot would be able to advise on how things work without ATS?

IFR pickup

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 21:19

Could consider Calvi (LFKC) or Ajaccio (LFKJ)?

There is no problem flying VFR to Corsica but you will need to file and activate a flight plan from the mainland to the Island and back.
Part of French regulations are that you need a FPL to fly over large extents of open water.
If you prefer to fly IFR and don’t want the hassle of Paris slots etc you can file an IFPL to pick up IFR at a more convenient intersection further south.
When I fly to Corsica, I tend to use Propriano. I have never had a problem with parking, although often this is on grass.
For Propriano you can just file IFPL and either descend after Ajaccio for an VFR landing at Propriano LFKO or if you need a cloud break you can descend with the IAP at Figari going missed and continuing to LFKO. There is however some high ground between the 2 so you can’t go too low.

France

Calvi and Ajaccio especially are more friendly. Take great gare about Corte, it’s often considered as mountain place, not that high but rock is not too far, runway not too long, temperatures are high and can be very convective. You will need an easy alternate (bastia, on the ither side of the mountain).

Last Edited by greg_mp at 14 Jul 06:59
LFMD, France

I did manage to get PPR and Parking reserved at Ajaccio. Seems very cheap or at least that what I as quoted and sent by email
Handling- 40 Euros
Landing – 21 Euros
Parking – 8 Euros/night

On the other hand at Olbia, Sardinia. I contacted one of Argos FBO and was quoted 800 eruos for 2 day parking, ramp fee, handling etc. which seems outrageous. I have contacted. Eccelsa FBO and hopefully they will quote me better pricing

New York, United States

I have contacted. Eccelsa FBO and hopefully they will quote me better pricing

I think north of 400€ for 1.5T, I learned this on Sunday as my step brother was stuck there, his flight to Paris was cancelled (he was connecting to go SanFransisco next day), I offered to come and give him a lift as it turns out it’s not Spanish Volotea strike but also Italian ATC strike for 6h, without tower, the whole airport was shutdown on Sunday the whole afternoon, he managed to sneak away on Monday !

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jul 22:23

Have you considered Alghero (LIEA)? Although no AVGAS I believe.

59 Posts
Sign in to add your message