Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crap Landings

Two wheels and a wingtip/prop I presume!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I don't know what needs to be done. Prop new is 30k, wingtip may be another 10K, rest is turbine inspection. But the worst case would have been a roll.

EDXQ

One thing I noticed lately is that my landings got a lot worse with my own aircraft. I didn't really understand why. Then I had another aircraft for a while (TB10) and my landings were perfect. I thought it must because the TB10 is easier to land than the 182RG. Well, at some point I realized that if I consider a C182 to be difficult to land, something must be wrong with my piloting skills.

Finally I found the reason: I lost the habit of looking at the ASI in my own aircraft during short final and the bad landings were due to insufficient speed before the flare. With the rental TB10, I was always focused on the speed. Now I make sure to keep an eye on the ASI right until flare and suddenly my landings have become much better. 70kt in the final, 65kt over the fence.

A couple of years ago I rented from my airfield owner their very precious Citabria. When we landed away somewhere the words "Now that's what I call a greaser" were just about to leave my lips and fall upon the ears of Mrs. Stick when, BANG! The right undercarriage leg flew past Mrs Stick in the back and we began digging holes in the runway and executing a rather neat if somewhat uninstigated handbrake turn! Luckily, a spotter was taking photographs and I was able to demonstrate categorically that I hadn't flown their aeroplane into the runway but mud always sticks............

Forever learning
EGTB

Now I make sure to keep an eye on the ASI right until flare and suddenly my landings have become much better.

Exact same story for me, though at lower speeds Yet I feel slightly guilty about it - aren't we supposed to judge by the plane's attitude, i.e. the angle to the horizon? Perhaps augmented by the feel in our pants?

That said, my own worst was somewhere halfway my very long training, when I put the FK9 down on a 600 metre grass runway at an awkward angle, and the instructor said "well, had you done this on a hard runway, we'd likely have tipped over". The worst is that I never was really sure what I did wrong - should have insisted upon proper debriefing, yes - but likely I came in much too fast and with insufficient longitudinal control/awareness. On a longish grass runway it is not too bad.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Here is another Silver Eagle example of this issue starting at 2:50. Problem is the crab landing.

![](

EDXQ

Just read the Never Again article in the latest AOPA mag... Landed a C402 with a stuck nose wheel by getting all the passengers to move to the rear (sans seat belts) just before touchdown....kept the noe up and became a tail dragger! So there you go just two wheels required...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Muelli, has your wife forgiven you yet? I had a small chuckle at her squeal, even though it is not funny - sorry. :-)

I went through a phase of carp landings but have sorted that out. Mine was due to not looking far enough down the runway as I started to flare. It got sorted oddly when I was doing some float flying and listening to the instructors patter as he talked me into the water landing. Light bulb went on in my head and hey presto all sorted. I seldom do a crab approach. Much prefer wing down.

This is a great forum.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

I once let somebody fly my C172 and was on the right seat. The guy (who claimed to be very proficient) managed to drop the aircraft from a considerable altitude onto the runway, it was so hard that I wasn't sure it would survive that. His comment after the "landing" was: "Every landing you walk away from is a good landing." Had I had a gun at that moment, he wouldn't be alive.

Hi Bloomer, not yet but I'm working hard to get her into the plane for our next trip to Italy.

EDXQ
Sign in to add your message