Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How bad does GA suck in Switzerland?

Isn’t the new EU customs rule that one can enter and exit the EU at any airfield as long as

- origin / destination are Schengen members

- no goods for declaring are involved

So that’s great for Norway and Switzerland (Too bad for UK…totally out).

So what remains is compliance with Swiss customs rules. My experience so far was good. Simply fill out the online Customs forms. At least Altenrhein, Buochs, Sion, Les Eplatures, Lausanne, Bern, Birrfeld were never a problem coming from/leaving to EU in my experience.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

@Snoopy, isn’t this affecting all non-Schengen countries?
Bulgaria
Romania
Croatia
Cyprus
Ireland
United Kingdom

EGTR

boscomantico wrote:

No one would go to Switzerland for just 26% more.

26% increase in purchasing power in CH compared to PL. Still, not worth it.

@arj1

Depends what you mean by affected.

Departing to/Arriving from Non-Schengen requires Immigration Police / Passport control at EU airfields. So, flying to/from a Non-Schengen EU member country doesn’t benefit from the customs relief.

The customs rule mentioned in my post above is thus convenient for flying to/from Non-EU countries that are part of Schengen (Norway, Switzerland).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Isn’t the new EU customs rule that one can enter and exit the EU at any airfield as long as
- origin / destination are Schengen members
- no goods for declaring are involved

Well, there is this, but extensive debate suggests that since this is political and logistical dynamite nobody was going to be the first to try it, in light of this.

I don’t think so, if the said airport has Immigration on a PN, which “all” German and Italian ones have… one of several threads.

I think it is tragic that so many discussions go down a rabbit hole on this crap. It should be clear in each airport’s AIP if it has IMMIGRATION and/or CUSTOMS! We should not have overriding regs which most people could not find even if they knew where to look.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Snoopy, as I understand it so if you are flying from any non-Schengen country into the EU+Schengen, then you have to find an airfield with immigration (and for the UK it needs customs as well).

EGTR

Exactly, so we come back to the two links in my post above, one of which is mandatory-Customs for all EU airports and the other is immigration-available-everywhere-in-Germany-and-Italy, which sounds too good because it is actually great for Brits, which sounds totally contrary to Brussels policy, so it “must” be unintended.

And it is good for Switzerland which needs just Customs (for most of the mainland), although until recently you still had to land at a Customs airport if going CH → DE.

26% increase in purchasing power in CH compared to PL. Still, not worth it.

Presumably, as with all cost of living debates, this depends on what you spend your money on. If you spend it on booze and fags then Spain is absolutely the place to go In Switzerland, nothing is cheap, but standards are relatively high, and “good stuff” is expensive everywhere.

Administrator

@arj1
Yes,

Departing to/Arriving from Non-Schengen requires Immigration Police / Passport control at EU airfields.

and if it’s a non Schengen and non EU country, also customs.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

@arj1
Yes, Departing to/Arriving from Non-Schengen requires Immigration Police / Passport control at EU airfields.

and if it’s a non Schengen and non EU country, also customs.

Also in that case the new EU regulation says you only need immigration (with noting to declare etc.). While the EU regulation is very precise it is such a radical change it will take a decade until it “trickles down” to all places in the EU.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That’s what I was getting at…

What happened to Locarno? I flew there direct from the UK some years ago.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message