Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA producing a TAF at 0155 UTC - how?

How did Shoreham generate a TAF at 0155 UTC?
EGKA 110155Z 1103/1112 21015KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1103/1112 21018G28KT

These are generated centrally by the UK Met Office.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there one missing at another time?

I suspect it’s just a typo. I think these are manually typed in. I’ve seen typos on other METARs / TAFs in the past.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Southend did 50*C and DP of 20*C last night. Lol

EGMC 132350Z 04002KT 8000 R05/0175N BCFG NSC 050/020 Q1014

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I’ve seen odd timed TAFs before, usually following a similarly odd timed CNL, to depict a significant change to the previously issued TAF before a usual update.

On Friday – the day of that TAF – Shoreham opened 0630 because they had a medical emergency flight arriving, so it may have been to do with that.

Administrator

There were days with all METARS"unavailable" but TAFs OK on N.England Scotland section last week. Other regions seemed OK.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How did Shoreham generate a TAF at 0155 UTC?

Shoreham does nothing of the sort. TAFs are generated by the Met Office. And they are a 24/7 organisation.

Any qualified Aviation Meteorological Forecaster can issue a TAF for any destination within the met organisation’s authority.

Peter wrote:

On Friday – the day of that TAF – Shoreham opened 0630 because they had a medical emergency flight arriving, so it may have been to do with that.

Almost certainly. The TAF was in that case probably requested by either Shoreham or the operator of the med flight. This happens more than people think.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Normally a METAR is needed before a TAF is issued. Maybe there are exceptions?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Normally a METAR is needed before a TAF is issued.

Actually, 2 METARS are required to issue a TAF normally.

Maybe there are exceptions?

Yes, if there are alternative means of obtaining the necessary information. Such as sensors or relevant observations at nearby stations, sat pics and model data.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Nov 22:14
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message