Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TORA and LDA at EDRF Bad Dürkheim

Hi all, I am checking out the chart for EDRF (same info available here https://www.edrf.de/flugplatz/fluplatzinformationen), where the total length of the runway is 600 m.
The TORA declared for runway 08 is 480 m and this seems to be due to the displaced threshold (hence the same length for the LDA RWY 26). However, this way of measuring the TORA is puzzling for me: the way I know it, the TORA should include the displaced threshold length in both directions, so of the four possible lengths, only LDA 26 should be 480, with the other three being 600.
Am I missing something here?

Last Edited by Seba at 26 Nov 14:40
LFST, France

There is nothing unusual here. When there is a displaced threshold at the end of the runway that you are departing from, you can‘t use that stretch of runway where the threshold is displaced. In other words, you have to be in the air by the time you cross the displaced threshold.

Do you have any examples where this is different, i.e. where the charted TORA includes that distance?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

There is nothing unusual here. When there is a displaced threshold at the end of the runway that you are departing from, you can‘t use that stretch of runway where the threshold is displaced. In other words, you have to be in the air by the time you cross the displaced threshold.

Do you have any examples where this is different, i.e. where the charted TORA includes that distance?

I am having a hard time finding an official source, hence why I am asking here :D
But all the sources I can find online quote the TORA as valid with the same length in both directions, even with a displaced threshold. Something like this

As shown here, you only need to be airborne before the stopway, if there is any (not the case in EDRF).

Additionally, I found almost the same situation in LFQU (see here). Here they quote the TODA and not the TORA unfortunately, but the two lengths seem to be the same if there is no stopway.

Last Edited by Seba at 26 Nov 15:21
LFST, France

In Germany, all airfields are like EDRF. Check EDFL for example:

I see that this is handled differently in other countries.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Nov 15:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

In Germany, all airfields are like EDRF. Check EDFL for example:

Yes, I was about to answer myself the same thing. I checked a bit around and the rule you mentioned is consistently applied in Germany, but it is not the case in Switzerland and in France. I thought these rules were the same Europe-wide, but it’s clearly not the case.
Good that I double-checked then.
Thanks for helping.

LFST, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message