Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What was you max wind with a Single Engine?

Mine was 81 kts with my former Arrow IV in FL150 over Holland back from London. Note the WCA:

EDXQ

WOW!

Mine was a 50 knots wind close to the ground, with an angle of 15 to 20 degrees off the runway when landing in a C172RG.

Another time I experienced a 50 knot wind at 6000 feet which let me fly the C-152 i was training in backwards close to stall speed :-) That was fun!

I've seen 70kt and it was a straight headwind, LDLO-EGKA, recently. 50-70kt for several hours... had to land at LFAT for fuel, after 7hrs of this. Forecast was half of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did get 90 knots of tailwind recently between L.A. and New Mexico.

I was at 15000' to avoid the turbulence and blowing dust over the desert below. GS is in the top left and relative wind bottom right.

IAS 119, TAS 152, GS 239 knots, 5.7 USG/hr

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I had a 50 knot tailwind on my first long IFR cross country in a Beech Bonanza after leaving Mobile, Alabama heading down to Kissimmee. That was a few years ago.

I almost hovered a Cessna 140 once into a strong headwind landing somewhere in the middle of Kansas. The FBO was used to this sort of thing though and sent two guys out to grab a strut after I made my helicopter approach.

Andreas IOM

I had 50 knots on the tail coming out of Inverness, about 2 weeks before I passed my IMCR. Cloud was getting lower and lower, couldn't climb into it - eventually was down to less than 1000ft over the Highlands - quite terrifying! Won't ever make that mistake again!

110 knots back from Girona. Headwind unfortunately.

EGTK Oxford

110 knots back from Girona. Headwind unfortunately.

I recall you was at Fl200 something, and my PA28 wouldnt reach those dizzy heights, but if it did, that would be a ground speed of 0 kts. Hmmmm

FL270 or 280 I think at that point. But I had 45kts straight down the runway at Oxford earlier this year. Felt like I was landing a Piper Cub.

EGTK Oxford

I remember that day. I had a funny climb out from Coventry with about 40kt wind.

United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message