Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Utility of non-deiced aircraft during fall and winter

There are reports that the SR20/22 do not like to carry anywhere near as much ice as older planes with thicker wings.

I can't speak from experience but this is something to be treated seriously.

Quite right!

I thought it might be useful if I posted a few facts and thoughts about the Cirrus SRxx characteristics in icing conditions and how I deal with this issue.

Firstly, on the Cirrus: there are three engine variants and three anti icing configurations available. This ignores the model history.

The engine variants are the 210 HP SR20 and the 310 HP SR22 and SR22 turbo.

The three anti icing configurations are: none, the "no harm" TKS system which is NOT approved for flight in known icing conditions, and the FIKI TKS system which is so approved although it is unlikely to be able to cope with prolonged flight in severe, or even moderate, icing.

My SR22 G2 has the "no harm" TKS system which does incorporate prop deicing with TKS nozzles at the prop blade bases and works quite well in keeping the prop ice free as well as the windscreen as fluid from the prop ends up there. The TKS flow to the wing leading edges and empennage is, frankly, not 100% reliable unless used regularly.

Whilst I wouldn't want to fly an SR20 in any conditions where its aerodynamic performance might be compromised, I am told ???? that the SR22 is able to maintain altitude with quite a bit more than 10 mm of ice on the wings.

My own practice is:

To check for potential icing using three different forecasts (yes, they often contradict each other!)

If any one of them is positive for icing at the level I plan to fly, not to launch without a clear "out" if it goes wrong.

If two of the three are negative: either refile at an altitude that is definitely OK, or has a clear out as discussed above, or bin the flight.

Using that philosophy, I don't think I lose more than a flight or two each year in over 250 flight hours for this reason.

I hope this helps.

EGSC

I am told ???? that the SR22 is able to maintain altitude with quite a bit more than 10 mm of ice on the wings.

To me (no SR22 ownership experience) that sounds plausible, but 10mm is about 5x less than some of the other types (not mentioning any models) will carry and just about fly level at a low-ish altitude - looking at photos I have (not necessarily mine) showing the leading edges.

The TKS flow to the wing leading edges and empennage is, frankly, not 100% reliable unless used regularly.

However, isn't that true for all TKS systems? They will all get bunged up with crap if not flushed regularly.

Even the little prop TKS pump gets seized up - as a fair few TB20/21 owners have reported, who didn't use theirs for years and then found the very-non-cheap TKS pump to be duff.

I don't think there is a reliable "icing" forecast out there - beyond what should be blindingly obvious from a look at the general conditions, temperatures, etc. I don't think any model is usefully forecasting the type of supercooled water droplets. These droplets will always be present in any IMC below 0C but whether they will cause ice accretion is a more complicated thing. Stuff like icing sigmets are IMHO just somebody stating the obvious when you look at the general wx picture.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Jonzarno Thank you for reporting from your 250h/year SR22 experience. That's a good data point.

@Peter Based on your remarks about Cirrus wings not being able to carry a lot of ice while thicker wings are able to I searched the COPA forum and found people talking about the same thing there.

This is all very interesting and good information for me as it helps to shape my thoughts now that I'm doing my IFR training. I am very interested in every bit of experience from people who use a SEP aircraft for business travel regularly. Thanks again for sharing!

Frequent travels around Europe

I think I posted this before. It has been in the public domain for years, despite some apparent later efforts to change that.

It's an account of a "near death experience" in a TB20. Most would argue that you could count the pilot's mistakes, starting from well before he got airborne (not carrying oxygen would be the 1st one, never mind embarking on a flight IAW FAR 91.211) but it provides another data point.

I've never had significant icing at altitude (FL100-200) and I work hard to avoid any ice up there. Having the IR helps hugely because ATC will give you whatever climb you ask for (not necessarily right away). I think this pilot is very lucky to be alive and I think he got away with it because by the time get collected the full amount he was sufficiently clear of terrain to be able to gently descend and you need only -100fpm to pick up a lot of extra speed. In fact at/near your operating ceiling, a -100fpm descent will have about the same effect on speed as suddenly doubling the engine power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message