Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night flying...

> Not sure I would use red filter lamps. I did that a while ago and found some features on the CAA charts were completely invisible.

One more reason not to use these horrid things! That said, some features on the FAA or Jepp charts also become very hard to see in red light. The thing, however, is that our eyes take about 20 mins to fully acclimatize to darkness – but only a few seconds to go back to light. Using a bright torch at night in a dark cockpit deprives you of night vision for the next 20 mins or so. Not good. Of course less of an issue when flying over well-lit places, where the eyes never really go into full ‘night mode’.

> Not sure I would use red filter lamps

in the beginning of the jet transportation age the airliners used to have red instrument and
panel lighting.
At the outgoing sixties (I guess) the aircraft design changed to white lighting after science (Boeing, NASA etc) found out that red light makes pilots tired.
I could have told this without research
Then in the eighties BMW reinvented red panel lights. Think they never heard of interdisciplinary skill.

EDxx, Germany

> Damn what a brilliant idea! Have an emergency (LED of course) lamp mounted in the central overhead trim, with an externally accessible battery holder for say a CR123.

Exactly what I have…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Nobbi & whatnext – I understand we are talking about SEP/MEP night VFR here – different beast. I wouldn’t worry with red (or blue – indeed I use both) light in a 747 cockpit either.

Last monday the weather was good for night flying. We departed around sunset (1745LT) for a short IFR flight to Niederrhein EDLV.

The weather: METAR EDLV 251920Z 00000KT CAVOK 00/00 Q1032=

Twilight just after departure:

Adjusting the brightness of the G430’s…

Darkness. Even with perfect weather an engine failure would mean disaster.
I was expecting to be able to see more details. But to be honest: It was impossible to distinguish a forest from a field.

Short final RWY05 Lelystad EHLE. No centerline lighting makes it harder. At least they have a redundant PAPI

These runways with edge but no centreline lights are tricky at night particularly with respect to judging your flare.

EGTK Oxford

Nice pics!

EDXQ

Lenthamen, did you downgrade your DA40 panel from glass to steam?

Lenthamen, did you downgrade your DA40 panel from glass to steam?

Hodja, I don’t fly the DA40 G1000 yet, but we’re in the process of group-buying one.
Whether it is a down- or an upgrade depends on who you ask

I think it’s an improvement as it offers more redundancy over a conventional DA40 (like double airspeed indicators, double AI).

Sign in to add your message