Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is a "racetrack to ILS"? LFAT ILS13 (and is OKPEM a hold or not?)

The answer to all those who don’t speak French, understand French ATS when they speak English or don’t know what a racetrack is simple. Avoid flying to or through France. I would have thought Peter would have decided that long ago with the troubles he’s had.🙂

France

@gallois but Spain is getting really far away without flying through France… 😉

Germany

True but with a plane with good range Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Spain.
Dan does Switzerland to Mallorca in his RV6.9. So how hard can it be?🙂

France

That is a completely unhelpful post, Gallois. Also I have very few problems in France, or anywhere else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter I understand @Gallois post as a fun reply – and so was mine to him. After 14 pages ( 😳 ) of discussion that has gone racetrack it’s quite understandable. No offense here.

Germany

@UdoR only half joking😁

France

I have not heard of the term “base turn”, but think it is what in the US would call a procedure turn, which is essentially a course reversal where the maneuvering side of the turn is depicted with a barb or as a 45 degree turn, continue one minute and then an 180 degree turn back to intercept the inbound course.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

I have not heard of the term “base turn”, but think it is what in the US would call a procedure turn, which is essentially a course reversal where the maneuvering side of the turn is depicted with a barb or as a 45 degree turn, continue one minute and then an 180 degree turn back to intercept the inbound course.

A procedure turn is not the same as a base turn. This picture from PANS-OPS shows the differences:

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

A procedure turn is not the same as a base turn. This picture from PANS-OPS shows the differences:

Thanks for the education. In the US, we can do just about any course reversal when the standard PT is charted. When the standard PT is charted, we can do a hold reversal, a 90-270 or whatever as long as we stay in the distance limit. The HILPT also is charted as a racetrack procedure with font determining if it is mandatory or must be approved by ATC. Flying the HILPT with other than what looks like a base turn is not permitted without ATC approval. If there is a course reversal called a teardrop procedure that the chart depicts as a teardrop with specific outbound courses specified (looks like a base turn), then the radials and distances must be flown as charted. The teardrop procedure also looks like a base turn. So you guys have a lot more names for things than we do. :)

KUZA, United States

@NCYankee 99% of all this is only relevant for the fun of the IR students, so that there’s more stuff to train for the exam.

Germany
Sign in to add your message