Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A rapid demise of a TBM in icing conditions

Of course it is not prohibited as long as the aircraft is ICE FREE. That’s what FIKI is all about! Mine isn’t FIKI, just a 2006 GTS with DFC90. But I wouldn’t fly through ice intentionally, even if I had a G3/G5 FIKI. I don’t have the nerves for that.

Just because the aircraft is FIKI approved, does not mean that it is 100% ice free or that you are not flying in icing conditions. So, the autopilot can be used in icing conditions according to the FIKI supplement. That is the point. I think it is rather unsafe to disarm the autopilot while entering IMC and possibly getting some ice. Increase the speed (set the IAS speed higher on the AP) and start monitoring the wing conditions as well as the ice on the front window. That is much easier to do with the AP on than with it turned off.

For example. If I set the AP to IAS (airspeed) mode and set it to 110 knots (with the stall speed being 61 knots), I have access speed to protect me. Worst case, ice is growing on the fuselage and wings and keeps me from climbing, but the airspeed will remain 110 knots, even if that would have to result in a decent instead of climb. The issue is that if you then would focus on monitoring what is happening outside to your aircraft and on the parameters on the PFD and MFD, I would think this is the way to notice something going wrong. Now, turn off that AP. Now you have to sweat and work hard in IMC, while also looking out at your wings and front window, back inside so monitor possible ice-buildup. That is what I call dangerous.

In the event I would notice that the Cirrus cannot handle the ice, I have this button so that it pushes out lots of TKS like from a high pressure hose you would use for cleaning your pavement or car (not exactly, but it does push out a lot of TKS at high pressure, but can do so only for a very limited time). This will give me some time to get out of the situation by turning around or decending into warmer air below or whatever else that needs to be done.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 13 Nov 18:52
EDLE, Netherlands

Alexis, for the next 6 months I will get ice on almost every flight. I am FIKI but still am careful about it. It is usually a non event but sometimes it is heavier.

My experience has been that the practical impact has been lower than the icing forecast would suggest. Accept it is easier to be a bit more relaxed about it with all the kit however.

EGTK Oxford

I fly all winter. Last year, I remember leaving the house and seeing the snow blowing through the streets horizontally and the car slipping its way to the airport. Such conditions do not mean that flying is not possible. I have encountered severe ice once and with adequate and a quick reaction, it is ok to get out. For the rest of the times (which is indeed about all flights in winter) the ice buildup is there, but easy to handle while climbing out.

EDLE, Netherlands

I have no idea why I would want to fly in that kind of weather. After all here it’s me who pays for the flying :-)
Mine has TKS too, worked fine on the only flight through very light icing i did.

I fly in the winter aswell. VFR, on nice days. Or IFR on days without ice.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 13 Nov 19:43

I have no idea why I would want to fly in that kind of weather. After all here it’s me who pays for the flying :-)

You don’t have to. But remember it isn’t because the plane will fall out of the sky the moment it hits ice with the autopilot on.

EGTK Oxford

Nobody ever said that.

Just read that a TBM700 has crashed in Mouffy France on its way to Paris – Dailymail link :-(

According to the report it seems to have happened enroute. The SWC valid 18Z has moderate icing up to FL180 in the area, unfortunately I don’t have access to an earlier SWC at the moment.

Considering the previous discussions this thread came to mind.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 19 Nov 15:57

Nasty wx there – 1200Z

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Nov 16:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe I’m crazy, but it doesn’t look THAT bad, for a TBM that is. Given where it happened this was most likely in the cruise, and there was not icing forecast at where they would have been. There must be (as always?) another contributing factor.
Tragic and chilling outcome.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message