Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carb icing at full power

Yes, it does happen. Yesterday it happened to me for the second time ever (the first time was a few years ago while towing a glider). Conditions here in the island are such that we’re always in the “severe risk of carb icing” part of the graph but in reality it really doesn’t happen that often. Our Lycoming isn’t a real ice maker either (second time ever I’ve had it in this particular aircraft).

The training material always highlights the risk of carb icing at low power settings but I’ve only had it ever at cruise or full power. I did my multi rating in a Piper Apache (the Geronimo conversion with a whopping 10 extra horsepower a side) and that aircraft would reliably make carb ice every time there was even a hint of visible moisture at any power setting.

However I’ve never once experienced carb icing at low power settings!

(Well not that I know of…)

Andreas IOM

I had card icing at full power a couple of months back while towing a glider also! I was in a DR300 with Lycoming 0360. I was towing K21 and not climbing at all!

London Area

My last few flights (from Inverness to the west) have had carb icing frequently on the O200, some needing long spells of carb heat. It’s what I expected from the varying cloud levels and the T/DP spread.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Lots of time in the C150 with the O200.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

My C90 likes to make ice at high power. But the SC carb heat seems to deal with it quite vigorously.

The Apache with Lycoming 320 can be prone to carb ice, but I thought the Geronimo with upgraded -360 (ie 20HP, or 30 HP more each side depending which Apache bugsmasher vintage provided the original airframe) is fuel injected. Perhaps your Geronimo was a part conversion with a -320 and some go faster fairings/wing tips.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message